The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Cabelas Waders

So I went down to buy some new waders at cabelas. I am not pro staffing or guiding for any shop so pro deals are a bit more scarce these days.

I tried cabelas waders nine years ago...Yes I fished 8 hard seasons in these waders with not one leak or puncture...I use my gear hard but take good care and do my regular maintenance.

They started to leak a bit in the seams (a very small amount, never standing water) So I went to get another pair as I was so happy with them. As I was picking my box off the shelf a guy says can I help. I told him the above story and he said..."send em in" we will stand behind our warranty on that, I said no, I have used them hard and long and got my money's worth...He said blah blah, send em in.

I took the new pair up and happily paid for them and went on my way. After a month of fishing my new waders I am again very pleased with their waders. I folded up my old waders and put them in the box from the new ones and spent the 10.22 to ship them off to cabelas.

They called Friday and apologized for the leaking seems...That alone freaked me out...the kind lady said we will ship your new replacement pair out today!..I went on to explain I used them hard and long for 8 years...She laughed and said, "well hopefully our product will stand up better next time".

I think I may be fishing cabelas waders until or if I am guiding or pro staffing again and even then I feel I will be compelled to use them.

Good stuff maynard!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cabelas Waders

I tell people all the time how much I like my Cabelas waders.
The 5mil neoprenes are more than 20 years old and the fly-weights almost that much, and I wear them a lot when it's not too hot.
I got their dry-plus waders in both stocking and bootfoot too.
No complaints on any of them.... ever.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabelas Waders

Worth mentioning Cody
Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's very cool and certainly good to hear that Cabela's stood behind their product. I had heard mixed experiences with their wader return policy through the years, but always good to get up to date info and share it with the membership. Without having worn them, I have no first hand experience.

Your story is pretty much identical to an experience I had with LL Bean. I spoke to Customer Service and like you, they encouraged me to send them back. I had only 4 years on them but they were fished hard. I didn't have the heart to send them back, I certainly got my money's worth.

Enjoy those new boots, I hope you get similar milage out of them!
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I bought a pair of Cabela's 'Youth Waders' for my grandson. He used them until he outgrew them, then gave them to his younger sister.

So far, it's been only 3 years of use, but they are still in great shape and they only cost $39.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:46 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I had a very similar experience 2 weeks ago. I have a pair of dry plus boot attached waders I use for waterfowl hunting. I take good care of them, but waterfowl hunting is brutal on them. I started fly fishing about a month ago and didn't want to run out for new waders so I decided to use my hunting ones till I decided how much i was going to get into fly fishing. When I jumped in the river it turned out I had a pretty good leak at the boot seam. I went to Cabela's in Hamburg PA told them I had them for 4 years and they recently got a leak. The gentleman at the counter grabbed them, called for a new pair, and they were replaced no questions asked! I was considering Simms for fly fishing waders, but I'm having a hard time justifying not getting another pair of Cabela's!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM

barham will become famous soon enough

Seven or eight years ago, I bought some Cabelas chest high waders which I have used and traveled with extensively. I figured they were about to wear out so I got another set. The old ones keep going on leakproof. I have yet to use the "newer" ones.
I am impressed.
barham
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

On the internet these days we all see a lot of hammering on the bigger chain stores and their own gear.

It is great to see and read that others have had the same experience with Cabelas.

Remember how they started...Selling hand tied flies from a classified add in Outdoor Life/Field and Stream. This is a perfect example of how the American dream works.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Makes me feel good on my recent purchase of cabelas waders on sale/clearance.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM

finisher will become famous soon enough

Cabela's does have a great return policy, but that will be going away with their push to sell consumer protection plans.

Their return policy still doesn't make up for the lack of quality in some of their Cabela's brand products. Both pairs of Cabela's waders that I had failed in short time. The 5mm hunting waders made it through half a season before developing multiple leaks on seams which made late season waterfowling less than comfortable with single digit temperatures. The Dri-plus fishing waders that I had lasted all of three weeks before both legs leaked at the bootie seam leaving me with sloshing feet. Not impressed.

Both pairs were returned to Cabela's for a full refund. The fishing waders were replaced with Simms G3s, which are well worth the $ in comfort alone. I have yet to replace the neoprene waders, but when I do, it won't be with Cabela's.