The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By skrap
  • 1 Post By tsubeta04

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default fly fishing backpacks-umpqua surveyor

I'm on the lookout for a flyfishing backpack to use in the future.

I would appreciate any recommendations you guys/gals may have. I've been reading through the threads already on here and have found very helpful information.

I recently bought the umpqua ledger waist pack and have been thoroughly impressed with how well thought out it is. I'm looking into their surveyor backpack. I like that it is hydration pack compatible. It has a sling for rods (not really sure what that actually means though).

In terms of what I will be placing inside the pack, at this point, it will be things like food, water, things like that. We live down in Texas and won't be doing much hiking with this. This pack will be used on travel to fly fishing destinations so I'd like for it to hold a good amount of items. I like the idea of it holding my waders and boots, but I don't think that is realistic. I wear a size 13 shoe and my waders are 2xl.

anyone have any experience with this pack?

https://umpqua.com/products/packs-an...100-backpack-0

I'm open to other suggestions as well. I like the sage waterproof bags as that would add a different dimension (maybe can take my DSLR).
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly fishing backpacks-umpqua surveyor

Being new to the whole fly fishing hobby I think I may be able to finally contribute with a recommendation.

Here is my $.02 pesos worth. Sounds like you are using it to travel and carry some FF gear but other gear as well. I assume the Umpqua products are top quality as i see them all over these boards and other FF sites. Looking at that price, you are paying a lot of money ($180+) for a small 1100 cu in pack no matter how much quality is built into it.

I would look at any of the packs from Kelty or Mountain Hardware. I have a Kelty Redwing and is considered an overnighter/weekender hiking pack with aluminum stays and is top quality. As good or better than the Umpqua, will Hold your waders, boots and all your other gear easily while still being very comfortable to carry. Oh, and still costs about $60 less. My Mountain Hardware Enterprise Pack is a bit smaller than the Kelty but every bit as durable. My Enterprise is my EDC pack. Goes everywhere with me.

Just some thoughts.
mcnerney and mysticm like this.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

i will just say that i have the umpqua chest pack and absolutely love it. And their new vest design has me wanting that as well (although Im pretty sure i wont actually get it).

I am sure their back pack is nothing but the best quality and you wouldnt be disappointed
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Skrap.....ur advice was much appreciated. On saturday night I got the orvis gale force bag and was excited until I got home and placed my rod tube in it. The gale force is more for smaller travel tubes/rods. I liked that it was high quality and id confidently take my gear and have it stay dry.

Sunday I went and picked up a kelty redwig amd am way more impressed. The longer body and pockets allow for my rod tube to stay upright. My size 13 simms pack nicely inside with plenty of room for other things. I figure id just use a dry bag for things that need to stay dry.

Ill return the orvis this week.

Thanks again,

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm glad I could finally contribute something since this FF thing is so new to me. I do love my Kelty. Hold more junk than I really need to carry sometimes. Heck, if I still have room in the pack then I must not have enough.

You will like the pack.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

I picked up one of these in June and it still looks new:

nexpak dp321 tactical assault pack

It is lined and big. My xl waders, size 14 boots and vest fit in one of the compartments; a fabric creel and a change of cloths in the middle compartment; cased reels, fly boxes, tippets etc. in one of the smaller compartments and the other one is empty. Still have lots of room. I strap a couple of cased rods (aluminum tubes with rods in socks) on the bottom with the quick connects on the pack and there is another set on the top. The net hangs from the clip. All in all it is exactly what I was looking for and does everything I want it to.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim2x; 10-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM

left field is on a distinguished road

I just received this today:

Amazon.com: Glacier Glove All-in-one River Pack, Blue: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Glacier Glove All-in-one River Pack, Blue: Sports & Outdoors

If you look at the pic the bottom blue section is for waders. It has drainage/vent holes. There's a separate pouch for wet boots with straps that hold them in place. On top of that is a main compartment for gear and on top of that is a separate cover bag.

There is a changing mat as well that is sewn in to the wader section, but I might cut that out of mine.

Not sure you could use this for a weekend backpacking/fishing trip, but seems like an ideal day hiking/fishing with wet gear bag.