The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM

jloncar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help!!! Wader questions

Thanks for the info. I will be getting new waders soon too and will keep an eye out for some G3's. The G3's are good for float tubing too right?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoo11 View Post
Hey Thanks for the tips. I just didn't know how the stocking foot waders with boots could keep the water out and I don't like the idea of the boot built in type. I am not too worried about buying quality stuff. I buy the best I can afford and while a deal is ok I want something that will last as well. The not leaking part is huge. I am a pansy and don't like to be cold or wet in the middle of winter. Thanks again........Oldskoo11

The Magic of Chemistry. Kidding aside there are several types of 'breathable' materials on the market. The most expensive is Gortex. How it works is water molecules are actually rather large. Perspiration molecules are far smaller and will pass through the material. Think in terms of 'water vapor.'

Fred

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

[QUOTE=jloncar;601718]Thanks for the info. I will be getting new waders soon too and will keep an eye out for some G3's. The G3's are good for float tubing too right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you'll just have to 'layer up' more as you're just sitting there in cold water. With actual bank/boat fishing you're normally far more 'active.'

fae
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Simms has re-released the old "Guide" wader, it was the top of the line pre-G3. They are Gore-tex, double or triple knee, and rock solid...if you want to save $100 and still have the best wader available minus the hand warmer pocket and a couple other bells.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Simms G3 or G4. You should be able to find some great sales on the G3 since Simms is introducing a new version in December.
Where did you hear this? I'm just wondering what all Simms will be closing out, my boots are shot.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Look through the posts on the G3's. I emailed Simms, and they are replacing the G3 model, The new ones will be available in December. Here is the response that I received from Simms. G3 response from Simms I've seen the G3's marked down on this forum and several other places. Shop around.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As if it hasn't been made clear by now While within this membership we have people wearing every brand and price point of wader that is available and some that are old enough that they are not. Ant wader can develop a leak. I am sending a pair of Simms G3 back to have the feet replaced because the left one allows my heel to get damp / wet. They are only 2 seasons in use but the way I have beat them through the bush I'm sure that I would have rips & tears in a lesser product. I wouldn't have had them this long.

I've had some high end waders last 10 years and some not but I keep getting the best that I can trying to stay dri.

Another Simms G3 vote here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Another vote for Simms.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM

jloncar will become famous soon enough

I went to my local fly shop on the way home last night and looked at both the G3' s and G4's. And the store worker is also a G3 wearer and believer. I just can't justify the jump in price from the G3 to the G4 so it looks like I'll be getting the G3's. Thanks for everyone's input it has really helped me out.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

You'll love the G3's and won't be sorry. Hopefully they were marked down; but, if not, they are great.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Simms has re-released the old "Guide" wader, it was the top of the line pre-G3. They are Gore-tex, double or triple knee, and rock solid...if you want to save $100 and still have the best wader available minus the hand warmer pocket and a couple other bells.[COLOR="Silver"]
Would the OP like a testimonial? I bought a pair of the original Guide waders thirteen years ago (the retail price was $360 in 2000).

I am still using these waders. I have not had to replace them. Truth is, I don't fish in the high summer on the big river as much as I used to, so my summer wader usage largely involves some hip boots when I'm on mountain streams. But I used them a lot the first eight years.

My guide waders have been great. I sent them into Simms once when I couldn't locate a leak to repair myself. I have ironed on revivex twice to renew the dwr. These waders are still doing the job. Simms said back then that they were bullet proof, and they were right. If the new ones are as good as the old ones (and I think they are) you may be very happy with them. I sure like mine.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Busman, I mentioned it because I have a pair almost that old, I think they're about 9 years old. Same story. I love em and was really glad to see the model back in the lineup. No frills, super comfortable, and bullet proof.