The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Simms Guide Boots - On Sale while supplies last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Frankly, I've bit it in both felt and rubber but rubber seems to hold up longer, doesn't add water weight to the boot and also doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing Munster boots when I'm fishing in the snow and hiking in them.
The felt on my boots is peeling back off the toe, always were it starts and the ends the life of the boot. I was lucky enough to walk in some bank snow the last time I fished, so I did get to experience that fun one last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Size 9. Not doing me much good.
Are saying you do not care for the sole?

I still haven't decided on a replacement boot.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Except I am very skeptical of traction. I've been wearing felt since, well, forever. And I wade some waters with bowling ball river beds. I'm not sure if cleats and studs would be enough...
The Simms rubber are ok, but no where near the traction of felt.

I'm pretty much Simms everything.. except their boots now

I have a pair of G4 boots.. I'll only wear them if I KNOW there's not much algae, etc on the rocks (Got them for a trip to New Zealand - no felt allowed)

For me.. best to worst:
  1. Felt with carbide
  2. Rubber with carbide
  3. Felt
  4. Rubber - and these should be further down the list

you might look at the Korkers.. so you can switch soles easier - depending on conditions (or if you're in boat, etc )
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

You think rubber with carbide is better than plain felt, eh Dave? Well that is encouraging to me because I only every used plain felt. So at this sale price - which is probably gone - I could have bought a set of cleats and still had a good deal.

I just wish there were some way to actually test these darn things out before buying. Of course once you wear a pair of boots into the water you cannot return them.

I am going to consider the Korkers when the time comes. I also like the Boa lacing, at least in theory, again haven't messed with them.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The felt on my boots is peeling back off the toe, always were it starts and the ends the life of the boot. I was lucky enough to walk in some bank snow the last time I fished, so I did get to experience that fun one last time.

Are saying you do not care for the sole?

I still haven't decided on a replacement boot.
I'm saying I wear a size 13 and a size 9 is not going to work.

With respect the soles. I wear studded rubber on these exact boots. They work for me on some slick shale as well as some algae covered rocks. But in the water on seriously slick boulders with very rocky river bottoms, nothing beats studded felt to me. When fishing in Colorado in rivers such as the Eagle River, nothing provided me the piece of mind more than studded felt. The studded rubber works, significantly better than plain rubber which to me is down right dangerous. But studded felt on those types of rivers was far superior. I wouldn't want to wear that boot all the time, especially when it's not necessary in the river, because i think out of the water they're a liability. I've sledded down many river banks and wiped out more times than I care to count with felt boots, which is why I don't wear them any more. But if I fished rivers with algae covered boulders and swift current on a regular basis, I'd fish studded felt. YMMV
Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM

chum8888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Size 9. Not doing me much good.
this site may have some:

Simms Guide Boot Felt | Wading Boots | Simms Fishing Products | Trout's Fly Fishing | Denver's Fly Shop | | Trouts Fly Fishing
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am going to consider the Korkers when the time comes. I also like the Boa lacing, at least in theory, again haven't messed with them.
I like the BOA system - so far - no issues - and the laces never come undone. I have some issues with my hands, hard to tie laces, so they're a godsend right now

The other day at Depuy, I got into some of that silt, it did loosen the sole from the boot pulling my foot out from the muck

You can try any of mine you'd like.. I have a whole collection of boots.. I swear my feet grow a half size every year now

I have felt, felt carbide, rubber carbide and rubber soles for them.
There's a couple others. not sure if they might be better
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the link! A couple screaming boot deals here, even better than the original post, which sold out. I was going to pull the trigger on the Guide boot, at $130 its a steal, but the Headwater at $85 is crazy cheap for a quality boot. The reviews are excellent on these boots and I prefer light when there is an option.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM

chum8888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the link! A couple screaming boot deals here, even better than the original post, which sold out. I was going to pull the trigger on the Guide boot, at $130 its a steal, but the Headwater at $85 is crazy cheap for a quality boot. The reviews are excellent on these boots and I prefer light when there is an option.
Glad to help out a fellow angler.

I thought about the Headwaters as well but they were the Vibram Soles. I already have a new pair of guides and love them alot. Instead I ordered something else that I really needed which was the Pac-lite Jacket:

Simms GoreTex Paclite Jacket - Gunmetal

Great deals to be had as we get closer to christmas but to get a particular size, you need to pull the trigger fast.