The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 3 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 AM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough
Default Help: booties fraying from boots

I'm developing some fraying (scuff damage) along the rear high top portion on the booties to my waders from my Patagonia Riverwalker wading boots and would like to know if there's a protectant or preventative material I can apply before they start leaking?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:59 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help: booties fraying from boots

there might be better answers out there, but a coating of aquaseal would likely do the trick for you...
Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If they'll fit, wear a pair of old hunting socks over them. Sounds stupid but if it'll save the foot, I would.

My first pair of stocking foot waders were called 'Seal Dri', made by the Wichita Canvas Co. They were made of brown rubber that would remind you of a heavy duty inner tube rubber. Back then they were one of the most compact chest high wader you could get, they rolled up pretty small. Why say all of that?? You had to wear a pair of hunting socks over the feet to protect them from being chaffed by the boot or punctured by gravel. We also wore socks over the feet of the old Red Ball Ultra Lights to protect the feet on them too. They were the forerunner of breathable waders with neoprene booties. Hunting socks were the accepted way to go.

I know socks are another step getting ready and at quitting time too, but if they save the waders ............... Who knows if they fit they may be comfy too,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It amazes me that people don't know to wear socks over their stocking foot booties, but you hardly ever see it. I never go without.

Ard, did you ever have a pair of those Red Ball cordura wading boots that looked kinda like oversized Keds sneakers ?
I repaired mine so many times that they were nearly all nylon stockings built up with ShoeGue.
They went with my Seal Dri waders which is what reminded me.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It amazes me that people don't know to wear socks over their stocking foot booties, but you hardly ever see it. I never go without.

Ard, did you ever have a pair of those Red Ball cordura wading boots that looked kinda like oversized Keds sneakers ?
I repaired mine so many times that they were nearly all nylon stockings built up with ShoeGue.
Well, I guess you're amazed again. LOL Guess I should try my wader get up on and see if it all fits, so to speak. Just anothe example of what I don't know about FF. LOL
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to Hardyreels and Rip Tide.

Booties fray because the heel lifts inside the boot as you walk. You also get sand and grit between the booties and the boot.

Wear an old pair of worn out socks over the booties will take the abrasion adn your booties will look like new.
Hardyreels likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

You bet I did, the brown ones with the stipple / bumpy soles After using them for a while I cut all the knobbies off the soles and used Barge Cement to keep the old indoor outdoor rug on them for traction. Every few years you had to upgrade the rug, pretty cool because you could have whatever color you could get your hands on

The amazing part is that I used those Red Ball sneaker / boots, for 12 solid years and I used them hard. That was before 'Planned Obsolescence' huh? If I remember they sold for about 21 dollars or around there and they were bomb proof. I was so disappointed when I wore out my first pair of 80 dollar wading shoes. I had been thinking that all wading boots would last for at least a decade. The fancy expensive boots were more comfortable because if you recall, the Red Ball shoe had no arch whatever. Just that white flat bottom but man they were a deal and they got the job done.

I like all my fancy & high tech stuff that came along with the end of the 20th century and the new millennium but in the back of my mind I know that there really were 'The Good Old Days'. Back when if you had one of those 8' brown Fenwick fiber glass rods in a 6 weight and a Pflueger 1495 Medalist reel with a Cortland line, you really had something. I remember teaching people how to cast who had Shakespeare Wonder Rods and the old Berkley's that bent all the way through the cork.............. Those guys would take hold of that Fenwick like it was Excalibur just pulled from the stone.

I've fallen from grace, I no longer wear socks over my waders but I bet I'll go back to it. I'm sending a pair in now because the left heel gets wet.......... Things change, people change, but sometimes change isn't always for the better when viewed at an individual lever huh?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I use motorcycle inner tube cut in 1/2" strips for gravel guards to blouse the socks....check out the boot combo in the pic. Absolutely kills me to think about paying more for a new pair of socks than I paid for those Redballs....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. I'll experiment a little with socks and inner tubes and see what I come up with.