The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Cold weather gear.....

Starting to gear up for my move to Colorado.

Spent the last 7 in Gatlinburg Tn. Not a very cold environment.

Looking to start picking up some cold weather clothing/gear. I am not one to hibernate in winter.

I need something a little more versatile than a wading jacket. Something that will do a great job on the stream but also would handle the slopes, snowmobiles, hiking...etc...etc. Been looking at everything from Mountain Hardware to Simms, Eddie Bauer and the like. Anyone have any first hand experiences??

The wading pants seem to be a good idea....or....is it a better idea to go with the new base layers.....Under Armor, Bauer, North Face????

Waders. Thinking about just going ahead and getting either a good set of Simms, Patagonia or Orvis......Any thoughts??

Even though i am 44 going on 21 I am usually very active. Over 150 days on the stream, plus other activities. Just looking to do it right the first time.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold weather gear.....

No experience with Colorado winters but I'd have to believe my experiences here can provide some valid insight.

One of the most versatile jackets that I own is a soft-shell hoody. Mine is a Simms that I bought several years ago. It's windproof and water resistant. Look around, these can be found on sale as well. Of course Simms isn't the only game in town, there are plenty of other options too.

Layering up right is key. Stay away from cotton anything as your base layers. There are tons of options from various brands. I'd recommend one lightweight, one medium weight and one fleece.

If you want Simms waders, now is a good time to look at the G3's. They can be found on closeout right now.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I will start off by saying that I LOVE gear...

For a skiing/wading jacket, don't get anything but goretex...I'm a diehard ArcTeryx & Patagonia fan. I'd layer a fleece jacket under it for the extra cold days. also the Nano Puff jacket is great as a standalone or layered jacket (this is not waterproof) You could also look at soft-shells which are heavier than goretex and also provide some weather resistance.

Base layer...Patagonia Capilene or The R series (R1, R2, ect...) Can't speak for the under armour as I don't own any.

Waders...Hands down without a doubt Simms, Amy 5 layer goretex version.

I own and use all the stuff I talked about and stand behind all of it!
mysticm and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Crazy move! Where in CO will you be? Near Parker?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cold weather gear.....

Most important piece of cold weather gear ???

A wading staff.

Invariably it's when the water is coldest that I take a slip.
No full winter immersion yet, but I can count on getting at least a little wet every time
Oh... and think wool. Wool stays warm even when wet.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
I will start off by saying that I LOVE gear...

For a skiing/wading jacket, don't get anything but goretex...I'm a diehard ArcTeryx & Patagonia fan. I'd layer a fleece jacket under it for the extra cold days. also the Nano Puff jacket is great as a standalone or layered jacket (this is not waterproof) You could also look at soft-shells which are heavier than goretex and also provide some weather resistance.

Base layer...Patagonia Capilene or The R series (R1, R2, ect...) Can't speak for the under armour as I don't own any.

Waders...Hands down without a doubt Simms, Amy 5 layer goretex version.

I own and use all the stuff I talked about and stand behind all of it!
Good advice! My set up is as follows:
1) Patagonia or Smartwool / RedRam - base layer
2) Nanopuff - mid layer
3) Marmot - Shell (pick a sober color in order to make it suitable for FF)
4) Glacier Glove or similar gloves
5) Simms Goretex cap (goofy looking but keeps me warm), pick any design but this is critical to minimize heat loss from the head.
6) Simms waders (Headwaters)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

ghochevar,

I could share drifts with you any day--I too love gear, and more important stuff that works! I'm with you on the Patagonia base layers. I will mention that I'm warm natured so my needs may differ from others to some degree. I've tried various different types and Capiline 1-3 is hands down the best I've used. Add to that R1 fleeces and that should cover needs. I do own a Simms Guide fleece top that is absolutely wonderful in cold weather. The R1 with the grid fleece is excellent for more temperature regulation/breathability. You can always find this stuff on sale. Even when not listed on sale or out of stock on Patagonia's website, look at REI or Moosejaw. Between the two sites I've always had good experiences and found sale prices.

Also like you, I'm a fan of Gore Tex. If you don't have one, get yourself a Gore Tex ballcap. They are absolutely wonderful. Simms has a new version coming out ironically like the one I have and LL Bean has one too. I wear that alone or under a stocking cap when I need it.

Gloves, I forgot to mention those. I carry two pair. One fleece and one wool. When one gets wet, I swap out and use the other.

I haven't tried wool base layers yet. I know they are tried and true but I haven't gone there yet. I guess because what I have works for me.

Last edited by jaybo41; 11-04-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM

gzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of light

For base layers you can't go wrong with Helly Hanson. You can get individual top and bottom or a one piece suit. I swear you will not find anything warmer as a base layer. I have used this on -5 Hunting trips sitting in a tree stand for hours and not get cold! Under Armour cold gear is also very good. Light weight and easy to move around in.
Glen

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Cold weather gear.....

Can we be besties jaybo41 & mysticm?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Good advice! My set up is as follows:
1) Patagonia or Smartwool / RedRam - base layer
2) Nanopuff - mid layer
3) Marmot - Shell (pick a sober color in order to make it suitable for FF)
4) Glacier Glove or similar gloves
5) Simms Goretex cap (goofy looking but keeps me warm), pick any design but this is critical to minimize heat loss from the head.
6) Simms waders (Headwaters)
Very similar to what I wear, however I'd suggest adding a layer. I make it out west once a year and that set-up is a bit too chilly for me.

I do...

UA 2.0 Base
Patagonia Flannel
Patagonia Nano Puff w/hood
Arc'teryx Alpha Shell