The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Map Programs (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/338130-map-programs.html)

bear 007 11-24-2013 03:05 PM

Map Programs

Its almost time to start scouting for next years new spots. I have been using an old version of DeLorme's Topo North America along with Google Earth, its time to upgrade. I was just wondering if someone's has a better mapping program.

Hardyreels 11-24-2013 07:19 PM

Re: Map Programs

Hi Tim,

I got a new Garmin 62 S series this past year and then added an Alaska Topo chip to it. I'm sure they would have one for your area too. It is really something, I can bring up any river or creek and then shoot the shortest route to where I want to be if walking. The only problem is the Bush. Trying to stay on a course can be almost impossible here but I like the map program.

Ard

fishiowa 11-25-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 613905)
Hi Tim,

I got a new Garmin 62 S series this past year and then added an Alaska Topo chip to it. I'm sure they would have one for your area too. It is really something, I can bring up any river or creek and then shoot the shortest route to where I want to be if walking. The only problem is the Bush. Trying to stay on a course can be almost impossible here but I like the map program.

Ard

When you walk around a tree does it start scolding you with "recalculating" :)

cochise 11-25-2013 06:48 AM

I really like my Hunting Maps program that shows hunting unit information as well as who the land owner is and has precise private boundary information. It is like 100 bucks a state.

I also like Nat geo's map program. I think you get quite a bit more for the same 100 bucks.

I use a Garmin 60csx and Love it but I am wanting to upgrade.

Rip Tide 11-25-2013 09:22 AM

As a resident of the great state of Maine, I'm sure that you know that Delorme is a Maine company and the MAG (Maine Atlas and Gazetteer) is the bible for Maine travel.
It's updated every year with the cooperation of the Maine Professional Guides Association.
I doubt that you'll find anything better.

cochise 11-25-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 614031)
As a resident of the great state of Maine, I'm sure that you know that Delorme is a Maine company and the MAG (Maine Atlas and Gazetteer) is the bible for Maine travel.
It's updated every year with the cooperation of the Maine Professional Guides Association.

I am a long time user of Delorme as well. There is a gazetteer in my truck at all times for whichever states I am going through.

I do like to get more detail and I have not tried the newer Delorme software. I bought their earthlink dash mount gps in 2000...It was a bit ahead of everybody else at the time. I plugged it into my laptop and had a giant gps.

bear 007 11-25-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 614031)

Oh Ya I've got three or four of them kicking around, I don't go into the woods without one, with DeLorme's Topo North America its right on your desktop, you can mark waypoints and routes, put down destinations, get latitude and longitude with a click of the mouse, its very convenient, something to mess with in the long winter months.