The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:05 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Map Programs

Its almost time to start scouting for next years new spots. I have been using an old version of DeLorme's Topo North America along with Google Earth, its time to upgrade. I was just wondering if someone's has a better mapping program.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Map Programs

Hi Tim,

I got a new Garmin 62 S series this past year and then added an Alaska Topo chip to it. I'm sure they would have one for your area too. It is really something, I can bring up any river or creek and then shoot the shortest route to where I want to be if walking. The only problem is the Bush. Trying to stay on a course can be almost impossible here but I like the map program.

Ard
bear 007 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Tim,

I got a new Garmin 62 S series this past year and then added an Alaska Topo chip to it. I'm sure they would have one for your area too. It is really something, I can bring up any river or creek and then shoot the shortest route to where I want to be if walking. The only problem is the Bush. Trying to stay on a course can be almost impossible here but I like the map program.

Ard
When you walk around a tree does it start scolding you with "recalculating"
Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I really like my Hunting Maps program that shows hunting unit information as well as who the land owner is and has precise private boundary information. It is like 100 bucks a state.

I also like Nat geo's map program. I think you get quite a bit more for the same 100 bucks.

I use a Garmin 60csx and Love it but I am wanting to upgrade.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

As a resident of the great state of Maine, I'm sure that you know that Delorme is a Maine company and the MAG (Maine Atlas and Gazetteer) is the bible for Maine travel.
It's updated every year with the cooperation of the Maine Professional Guides Association.
I doubt that you'll find anything better.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
As a resident of the great state of Maine, I'm sure that you know that Delorme is a Maine company and the MAG (Maine Atlas and Gazetteer) is the bible for Maine travel.
It's updated every year with the cooperation of the Maine Professional Guides Association.
I am a long time user of Delorme as well. There is a gazetteer in my truck at all times for whichever states I am going through.

I do like to get more detail and I have not tried the newer Delorme software. I bought their earthlink dash mount gps in 2000...It was a bit ahead of everybody else at the time. I plugged it into my laptop and had a giant gps.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Oh Ya I've got three or four of them kicking around, I don't go into the woods without one, with DeLorme's Topo North America its right on your desktop, you can mark waypoints and routes, put down destinations, get latitude and longitude with a click of the mouse, its very convenient, something to mess with in the long winter months.