The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sling Packs-like the idea but.....

I use a Magellan sling pack like that myself. 25 dollars. Well built and holds anything you need. I even put a can of soda in one pocket on short walks or wades. Ain't saying its the best or anything but it's dang sure worth the 25 dollars and works like a dream. I doubt I'll use another till this one is worn out.

Mike
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM

mungan is on a distinguished road

I'm considering getting a Vedavoo sling pack. Anyone have any experiences with it?

https://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-sling-pack/
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM

mungan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I use a Magellan sling pack like that myself. 25 dollars. Well built and holds anything you need. I even put a can of soda in one pocket on short walks or wades. Ain't saying its the best or anything but it's dang sure worth the 25 dollars and works like a dream. I doubt I'll use another till this one is worn out.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Took a look at the Magellan pack and the price was too good to not try it out. It just showed up today and I'm quite impressed. Now if spring would only come faster!
andrew_rigsby likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Mrs. Santa gave me a Patagonia sling pack for Christmas, and I used it for the first time yesterday.

Bottom line: I love it!

I love having everything behind me, and I never noticed it during the day while fishing. Even with a full water bottle and a fishing net hanging from it, it remains well balanced.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried any of the "waterproof" sling packs like the one from Orvis or Fishpond?

Looking for a sling pack that I can also throw on the raft and not worry about soaking.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 PM

davidrboy is on a distinguished road

I'd be curious to hear feedback on the waterproof/resistant slings as well. And if anyone has a recommendation for one in particular.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

First, I used the Pati Sling for a year and never noticed it while casting. I actually think it was the most comfortable thing I've ever worn that holds fishing stuff. In the end I just got sick of having to swing it around everytime I needed anything. And it didn't hold enough, I wanted room for a rain shell and sandwich. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

The Magellan looks like a screaming good deal.

The Vedavodoo or whatever is called is interesting. I like the way the strap is almost like a lanyard but better. But the rest of it looks like a man purse. Too small, I mean what are you going to put in there, a makeup compact? If all you need is one fly box stick it in your pocket.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I currently use one of these large WJ Fanny packs:

William Joseph | FANNY-PACK

It has the padded neck strap. I sling that accross my shoulder and then lightly buckle the waiste straps. This basically turns it into a lower riding sling pack. I unbuckle and swing around to access. It is comfy and big, but my main issues with it are it sits low enough that I have to watch it when wading deep, I have to take it off and set it on the ground to get my waders open to pee, and it is not water proof for in the raft.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

The Vedavodoo or whatever is called is interesting. I like the way the strap is almost like a lanyard but better. But the rest of it looks like a man purse. Too small, I mean what are you going to put in there, a makeup compact? If all you need is one fly box stick it in your pocket.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I had an Orvis sling pack... It was nice but lacked a critical space... A water bottle holder... Recently got the Patagonia Atom Stealth and couldn't be happier... So much space and many pockets... Lightweight... And a waterproof pouch for electronics or keys... Great sling pack...
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I just check out the new Simms sling pack , this thing is rediculous it's a monster if this thing sales it's beyond me. No help for this person, duck tape can not help this thing. Simms needs to stick to waders they know how to build heck of a wader , who ever designs the rest of the line must be Chinese who has never fished.