The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sling Packs-like the idea but.....

I'm biased because I sell it, but the Clear Creek Sling Back Pack is pretty nice. It has a customizable interior that lets you use it as an open backpack, or more compartmentalized to store small fishing gear.

Fly Fishing Gear Bags
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I just bought the Vedavoo Tightlines Swing Pack because it was so small. I had slimmed everything down to the point I was using a lanyard and Molle belt pack of about 8"x6"x3" for day trips and the only problem I was having was that the belt pack tended to dip into the water every once in a while, so I had to keep the fly boxes in plastic bag inside it and in any event, the Molle bag was made in Hong Kong with attendant quality standards and the buckle was kind of pain to use one handed.

So the Vedavoo's main pack bag was about that size, but it also has secondary pockets and a layout that includes places to hang tools, which made the lanyard redundant, and a number of other features that made it ideal for going light. All the reviews are very positive and there are a lot of them. This is not the pack you want if you need to bring extra reels, large scale streamer boxes or very much extra clothing (you can sandwich a rain jacket between the two sections, however). It is made for going light.

These are made in the US by a small company in Wyoming, and they offered to customize it to my specific needs for a very small surcharge. I talked to the owner. When I used to wear a vest I packed so much **** in it that it was killing my neck. I am hoping this sling pack will be the lightweight solution I have been looking for.

Rob
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM

84scrambler is on a distinguished road

Ordered a Vedavoo sling at the fly fishing show in Pleasanton and am looking forward to trying it out and see how it works for me. They have a descent lead time right now but I really like the I was able to order it so it stays on my right shoulder as I am left handed. Seems like that's not that big of an issue for most but I will take the extra bit of freedom. I am on the the whole light weight kick and minimalist approach. If you want to bring a bunch of stuff with you get a
backpack, otherwise its a fly box and a Tenkara rod for me. Also they are made in the US which was a big selling point for me.
I am just getting into fly fishing and really like the light weight feature of it so only time will tell if this setup will really work for me.

My buddy picked up a Patagonia sling at the show and he seems to be enjoying it. Has descent room and its comfy. Will have to see how these two compare through out the season.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road

Looked at the "big" 3 today. Just my experience.
Orvis Simms and Patagonia
Bought the Simms but when I got home and loaded it and it was not comfortable. I know why patogonia is a semi hard case, it keeps the fly boxes and equipment from being the bracing.
Will be returning it and taking a closer look at the patogonia pack, possibly taking some fly boxes with. ( I use umpqua med boxes)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 AM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road

I ventured into the sling world last year and bought the Orvis Guide Sling. I am a gear addict and will say I have not considered replacing this Sling. I love it! It is out of the way when walking and traversing the stream. It has an awesome placement for the hemostats on the sling part on your chest with a magnet built in to keep them from falling out of the slot. The smaller compartment can hold 4 large fly boxes. The Biggest compartment I can throw a couple of smaller fly boxes along with a snack and a fleece and still be able to access stuff and not feel cramped. The water bottle slot is also a nice feature. The only thing I have yet to find is a great place to put a net on any sling. I have mine attached to a gear loop on it and it just kinda hangs out. While walking I have noticed if I throw it on the left side its out of the way and the sling keep its there.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM

agate is on a distinguished road

I have the Patagonia one, the Atom Stealth Sling Pack for last 3 years. Very pleased with that pack.

Only challenge is how to hook landing net on that pack, I have used various locations on that pack , but still do not have a good solution.

Any one has any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

I attached a magnet to the D-ring on the top of the pack. When I do use a net, I use a Brodin Gallatin Ghost. It hangs perfectly with the handle right at my side where I can easily grab it with my right hand. It's very easy to unattach and reattach.