The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM

backwoodsangler is on a distinguished road
Default Sling Packs-like the idea but.....

I have been very interested in getting a sling pack for my outings. Patagonia, Orvis, and now Simms appear to be making some great slings.
HOWEVER, does anyone know why they are all made to go over the right shoulder. I am right-handed and it stands to reason that a sling should go over a person's left shoulder for less interference with casting arm. Can anyone lend some knowledge or experience with these slings being on the right shoulder. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sling Packs-like the idea but.....

I have the Patagonia one and wondered the same thing when purchasing it. However, in actual use, I don't really notice the pack's presence. I like the out-of-sight / out-of-mind characteristic combined with quick, easy access to a fairly large volume. Also, I think that sling packs keep you cooler in warm weather.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting insight, I never noticed. I bought an Orvis sling pack a couple years ago and use it slung over my left shoulder. Being left handed and casting from my left side, it just made sense to me to have the "pack" on the opposite side to minimize any line tangles. Never really gave it much thought about interfering with casting.

Larry
mountainangler likes this.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM

backwoodsangler is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess a sling being on the casting shoulder doesn't seem to be a bother. I may have to purchase one to give it a try. Slings seem to be the way to go. Out of the way and big enough to carry what is needed.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm with the rest of these guys. As a right handed caster, and lover of sling packs, I've never really noticed it affecting me. Shoot, I never even really notice it unless I need it. They're fantastic!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Patagonia one, the Atom Stealth Sling Pack and that thing is basically out of sight and out of mind. It just magically appeared when I needed to retie or to grab something.
Enough storage for 2 large fly boxes, a spare spool, sandwich, gloves, etc.
You have to fill the sling in the upright position and putting the less important/needed item all the way at the bottom/back. You can't be disorganized by just pushing in your fly boxes back in. With the right organization, the sling will allow you to carry a lot of stuffs. The tray, it is very helpful in retying and changing flies. I put my all my leader, slip bobbers, floatant, camera in the small pockets. I hang the tippet spools and the net outside the sling.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM

kampula is on a distinguished road

Here's another sling pack to consider if you haven't already seen it. I haven't got a sling pack yet but I think I will be getting this one.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsangler View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess a sling being on the casting shoulder doesn't seem to be a bother. I may have to purchase one to give it a try. Slings seem to be the way to go. Out of the way and big enough to carry what is needed.

I use a stripping basket about 99% of the time and it works well with a basket. I keep a minimum about of stuff in mine and after you use it a few times you don't even know its there. I am right handed and wear mine on my casting shoulder and no problems.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

I use a $10 fanny pack as a sling pack, just loosen the wait strap and sling away! I can flip it back and forth without an issue. Left shoulder, right shoulder, no problem! Might be an idea to try before you drop a lot of money on an expensive hi tech pack.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Academy - Magellan Outdoors™ Sling Pack

try this, won't break the bank, I've got one and like, don't really notice it being there majority of the time. Occasionally, yes, but trying to focus on the cast, etc., I forget about it.
dean_mt, kampula and ejsell like this.