The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Simms Toray Fabric

Anyone here have any experience / reviews on the Simms waders made of the new Toray fabric. It is supposed to be more breathable than its predecessor but not quite as breathable as Gore Tex.

I have G4Z for deep water, cold weather usage. Just rekindling the idea of the Simms Freestone pants for those times when its just a touch to cold to wet wade which I love to do. As I get older I find that threshold of to cold to wet wade is sneaking further up the sissy scale. At the same time just a tad bit to cold to wet wade is also not cold enough to go full bore head to toe 5 layer gore tex waders.

Reason I ask is I had the predecessor to this version of the freestones and after a few years they started stinking to high hell because they didn't breath at all and long summer hike embedded my sweat odor in the material .

Figuring with the Denver Fly Show coming up there might be a pair "on sale"
Old 12-28-2013, 12:21 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Simms Toray Fabric

I haven't seen the waders but I do have some clothing made with Toray fabric. I have a soft shell jacket and a pair of pants both Toray fabric...the stuff is awesome. There are different fabrics in that they make but all I know is that it is the newest best stuff, better than Gore Tex, which is why companies like Simms are going to it. The fabric is treated at the yarn level, and it has a nice amount of stretch. It breaths well.

I have no complaints about my Gore Tex waders but i'll be curious to see what they can do with this fabric for waders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
comeonavs likes this.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:15 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't breath as well as Gortex ,I have both in waders,
Old 12-28-2013, 08:34 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks Billy

I am fine with doesn't breath as well as Gore Tex, I am trying to avoid the doesn't Breath at all like their predecessors
Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Avs - I have these wader pants because when I fish small spring creeks in the summer I don't want or need to wade deep. I don't like wet wading them simply because there is way too much bushwhacking where I fish.

If you look on the Simms website, under reviews for this model, you will see my review. I don't know if I'd buy them again. They breathe, but they don't breathe great. The G3 Gortex pants are just too expensive so there is no middle of the road with Simms on a wading pant.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I haven't seen the waders but I do have some clothing made with Toray fabric. I have a soft shell jacket and a pair of pants both Toray fabric...the stuff is awesome. There are different fabrics in that they make but all I know is that it is the newest best stuff, better than Gore Tex, which is why companies like Simms are going to it. The fabric is treated at the yarn level, and it has a nice amount of stretch. It breaths well.

I have no complaints about my Gore Tex waders but i'll be curious to see what they can do with this fabric for waders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I too read great things about the fabric which got the old hamster spinning the wheel in my Brain bucket.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Avs - I have these wader pants because when I fish small spring creeks in the summer I don't want or need to wade deep. I don't like wet wading them simply because there is way too much bushwhacking where I fish.

If you look on the Simms website, under reviews for this model, you will see my review. I don't know if I'd buy them again. They breathe, but they don't breathe great. The G3 Gortex pants are just too expensive so there is no middle of the road with Simms on a wading pant.

Cheers,
Mike.
Thanks Chi

That's the exact spot I'm in. I am lucky I got the G4Z on closeout plus my favorite flyshop hooked me up. I basically got them for $400 when the new and improved version came out. I really wanted the Z part of those waders.

Even though $400 sounds like a lot it is pretty good for what they are. I. Just don't want to dump $400 in to the G3 pant to wear 4 times a year. I also don't want to spend $200 on the cheaper ones if they are junk.

A middle of the road offering would be nice.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

They're not junk. For a couple times a year that I wear them they suit me well. I do wish there were a middle road offering with Gortex. The toray does breathe and I'm not dripping sweat. I fish them when it's 80+ out and for my limited use at that price point you could do worse. But I don't love them....
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
They're not junk. For a couple times a year that I wear them they suit me well. I do wish there were a middle road offering with Gortex. The toray does breathe and I'm not dripping sweat. I fish them when it's 80+ out and for my limited use at that price point you could do worse. But I don't love them....
See that's perfect and what I will use them for, Sep/Oct in the Rockies, temps in the 70's. Water a tad bit cool for wet wading but not hot either

Sounds like for the right price the way you describe them would put them in my "to buy" category.

Thank you for the feedback
Old 12-30-2013, 01:28 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good info guys. Like I said, I've never even seen the waders. But for outer wear, the couple pieces I have are by far the most comfortable I have.
comeonavs likes this.