The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM

ruttness will become famous soon enoughruttness will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SUP vs Kayaks

here in NC ,with duke energy owning every large body of inland water, bank fishing is not allowed i use my kayak often and the only plus side to duke owning all the big body water is most of it is used to cool their power plants and have a warm water discharge, so bass fishing is amazing year round, with my closest lake being over 70 degrees year round, kayak is a great way to access this water ive owned alot of personal craft including kayaks and sups. the thing about sups in big bodies of water is boat traffic becomes a nuisance.

i started in an old town sit in fishing yak, upgraded to an ocean kayak trident that was stolen, after that i took a deep plunge and bought a bote SUP and a jackson cuda 12, both are awesome craft in their own way, flats on the bote is unmatchable but big open water in the jackson is also hard to beat.

the thing that has most recently peaked my interest is micro skiffs, the one im thinking of trying is the pelican ambush it can be had for around 2k minus the motor, can do almost all a yak can and its self powered
Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM

dkd is on a distinguished road

I regularly fish both. I have Bote SUP, an Indian River canoe, and used to have a WS Tarpon 16. They all have pros and cons. Overall, the canoe is my favorite. It is a 14 feet long, flat-back canoe. It is very stable, and I can stand on the rear seat and pole the boat. It also lets me fish with someone up front. The canoe was also the cheapest ($500 NEW!). The only issue with the canoe, is it is slow (especially when solo) and I wouldn't take it into open water. If I was to do it over again, I would purchase a Native Ultimate 14.5. It is a canoe/kayak hybrid, you can stand in it, and it is the most comfortable paddle craft I have ever sat in.

The SUP is a lot of fun. I use mine mostly for exercise, but do fish from it occasionally. Standing definitely has an advantage when fly fishing. They cannot carry much gear, so when I go fishing it is usually just 1 rod and a small pack. I also like the ability to walk around on the deck. My back gets very sore sitting in a kayak all day - something that does not happen on the SUP.

The SUP has 2 huge disadvantages. The first is durability. Most are made of epoxy/fiberglass over polystyrene foam. They are very fragile. My first Bote board completely delaminated from being outside in the sun, despite being an outdoor product. The company offers no warranty for this and wouldn't help at all. Luckily the store I bought it from, was willing to exchange the board. They said that it had happened with a number of other boards, especially in darker colors. The other issue with SUPs is paddling in the wind. Good luck getting home if you have to paddle open water into 15 knot winds.

Most kayaks are faster than the SUP and can haul more gear. They also handle rougher conditions. They are durable. I get uncomfortable sitting all day. I would prefer the SUP or canoe as long as I am in sheltered waters.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 PM

nctribute is on a distinguished road

The Cuda's are nice, also look at the Native Watercraft Slayer. The Nucanoe Frontier also looks very good for stand up fishing. Try to demo if you can to find what suits you best. I have a 2 hp outboard for my sailboat that I would like to try on the Frontier to see if it works well. Right now am using a Native Ultimate 14.5, good paddler, but not the best for standing up.