The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 PM

jjw89 is on a distinguished road
Default SUP vs Kayaks

Im currently in southeast GA, Savannah area and am absolutely limited in my fishing options w/o a boat. Cant afford a skiff so going for something man powered.
I've read up on a bunch of different sites on the pros and cons of kayaks and SUPs. Really interested in some of the hybrids; Diablo paddlesports, versaboards, etc.
I just wanted some people to weigh in who actually fish with either or all of these consistently and the benefits of each. I have miles and miles of salt marsh to explore and am not to far from the FL line, so the kind of water I'd be on is pretty varied. Again interested in hearing some thoughts, thanks a million.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SUP vs Kayaks

as far as SUP i have no experience, but while kayak fishing lakes and river i have met a few people who use them. from what i have gathered those folks love it. they seemed to be able to control the boards fairly easy even while fishing. have even seen other use a SUP to float some river rapids, looks FUN !
IMO having a kayak (SUP, sit on top, whatever) would be perfect for getting around a salt marsh. i personally prefer any kayak that you can stand up in. only being able to sit down can be a little rough cause your restricted to using only your upper body to cast and casting forward is about it (to your side is tricky)
i wish i could help ya on which model or type would be better for tidal water but i havent done that. i am sure there is someone on here you could be more specific for ya
Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Ed Mitchell, a fly fishing author and member of our club has a SUP and writes about it often on his blog
(he loves it)

ed mitchell outdoors
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM

aggie182 is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the Jackson Cuda line. They are kayaks, but you can stand up in them. They paddle more efficiently than the Versaboards, Diablos, etc. You can cover a lot of water in a Cuda 14 and stand up to sight cast once you're at your spot. The seat is super comfortable too. Also look at the Native Slayer and Old Town Predator. Both of those are also marketed as a kayak you can stand and fish from. I'd rather go that route than going with a SUP that can act like a kayak. If you had a boat to motor to your spot then were launching a paddle craft to cover smaller amounts of water, I may look at a SUPerfishal, Versa, or other SUP type of option but if this craft is your only transportation on the water, I'd get a kayak designed for standing.

90% of my saltwater fishing is done from a kayak. No kayak is perfect for every situation but the Cuda line is the closest I have gotten. In addition to my Cuda 14, I have an old 16' Wilderness Systems Tarpon. The boat is a dream to paddle and it super fast but it isn't as comfortable as the Cuda and I wouldn't dream of standing in it. The Cuda is so much more comfortable that I don't mind giving up the extra speed of my Tarpon.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM

jjw89 is on a distinguished road

I've actually looked really hard at the 12 and 14 foot cuda, the biggest downside to me seems the center console wasnt designed to be snag free, how do you deal with your excess line while casting? is a stripping basket applicable at all? That is honestly my biggest turn off for a lot of the 'yaks is the lack of simplified, snag free casting platform. Thanks a million for the feedback guys.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 AM

aggie182 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw89 View Post
I've actually looked really hard at the 12 and 14 foot cuda, the biggest downside to me seems the center console wasnt designed to be snag free, how do you deal with your excess line while casting? is a stripping basket applicable at all? That is honestly my biggest turn off for a lot of the 'yaks is the lack of simplified, snag free casting platform. Thanks a million for the feedback guys.
Lay a damp towel over the cock pit to cover the stuff that might snag your line. On mine, the footpegs, hatch straps, and rod holder are the main things. I have a flush mount Scotty installed on the hatch that I remove when going with the fly rod. The hatch straps and footpegs were the other line grabbers and the towel takes care of that. Most shots are short in the kayak so I can typically strip off a few arm lengths of line in to the water to make a quick cast.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Check out some of the hybrid canoe/kayaks like the Native Ultimate (non-pedal version) and the Wilderness Systems Commander. They sit high in the water if you're in a windy area that can be tough and they aren't self bailing but they have clean insides for the most part. Also, I think the Native Slayer has a very clean and open deck.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Suggest you look at the WS Ride 115 or 135, depending on how big of a yak you want. Very comfy seat, can stand in the Ride, I've fly fished one time from mine, (just picked up this sport earlier this year) and stood in my ride 115. I chose the Ride 115 due to storage limitations, and the seat, which I found as very comfy, it paddles easy for me, but I don't fly fish exclusively. I've sat in my 115 for 3-4 hrs at a time, no back pain from a bad back, I can move around easily it, and did cast to the left side, me being right handed. I did cast some to the right side, but casting to the left from the bow on back to the seat was a non-issue for me. Line management is an issue, but its an issue for me when I'm standing knee deep in water as well, so..
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM

nir will become famous soon enoughnir will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Suggest you look at the WS Ride 115 or 135, depending on how big of a yak you want. Very comfy seat, can stand in the Ride, I've fly fished one time from mine, (just picked up this sport earlier this year) and stood in my ride 115. I chose the Ride 115 due to storage limitations, and the seat, which I found as very comfy, it paddles easy for me, but I don't fly fish exclusively. I've sat in my 115 for 3-4 hrs at a time, no back pain from a bad back, I can move around easily it, and did cast to the left side, me being right handed. I did cast some to the right side, but casting to the left from the bow on back to the seat was a non-issue for me. Line management is an issue, but its an issue for me when I'm standing knee deep in water as well, so..
Ditto that!

I own a 2013 WS Ride 135. The only downside is the weight, but thats OK with me since I'm not small...

I always fly fish from mine either standing, sitting, sitting with my legs in the water on one side... Almost no line management issue... It's very stable! I just love mine!!

It doesn't have the best tracking ability, but what are you looking for: a stable boat you can fish standing or a fast boat to cover lots of water but is less stable...

Plus, the new seat on the Ride is amazingly comfortable and adjustable in a few ways.

Very fun boat!!

Here is my setup:

Click the image to open in full size.

And this is usually the result I want. Caught with a big bass popper!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The SUP seems pretty limited in the fact that you pretty much will always be standing.

In terms of yaks, I have owned the Jackson Coosa and didn't care for it that much. It was heavy, slow as all hell, got blown around by any crosswind, and frankly, I didn't find it to be that stable.

I picked up a Wilderness Systems Ride 115 this past year and after a dozen trips or so, 5 days on Sanibel island, a few lake michigan salmon outings, I am 75% happy with my purchase.

Pros - super super stable. I was standing and fly fishing in the middle of tarpon bay with 20mph winds and some decent chop with complete comfort. Like Nir, I have had almost zero line management on my WS Ride. It tracks pretty decently and is reasonably fast.

Cons - you have to paddle with your hands. LOL. Call me a whimp but the fact of the matter is that every second that paddle is your hands is a second your fly isnt in the water. I watch my friends with Hobies peddling and casting like it's nothing. They flat our blow me away when we are trolling the big lake for salmon. They can even run multiple lines without getting tangled up because they can keep moving forward while fighting a fish. Me...Im at the mercy of the fish.

I am seriously considering picking up an outback which seems stable enough to stand and cast
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I fish from a recreational kayak—sit in. I've considered a sup for these reasons

a) you can get on and off standing, no sitting down
b) Yes you can SIT on a sup…lots of them come ready with kits to attach a cooler so the "you have to stand all day" argument is moot.
c) clear deck space for line, i haven't seen one kayak sit on or sit in that can compete with this point

Why I still haven't gotten one:

a) i primarily kayak a river with some rapids…i don't trust a sup in those situations even sitting on a cooler, and I'd rather not break, or get a skeg stuck in rocks

b) i can stand up in a kayak, some better than others

Check out BODE boards, again for flat water:
Ahab | BOTE Stand-up Paddle Boards | Fish. Paddle. Surf.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com