The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for great Hip Waders...

To each his own of course, but when I went looking for hip waders to pack in on long hikes to remote water in the mtns during the spring, the shop recommended wading pants. If I recall they don't sell hip waders anymore.

The simms freestone pants I have are super light pack down well (better than any rubber boots) and I really appreciate the backside and crotch coverage when I take that fateful misstep.

I have a pair of convertible (patagonia) chest waders, they're thicker and definitely get their use for fall/winters. But are too much for summer/spring.
craigthor likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
To each his own of course, but when I went looking for hip waders to pack in on long hikes to remote water in the mtns during the spring, the shop recommended wading pants. If I recall they don't sell hip waders anymore.

The simms freestone pants I have are super light pack down well (better than any rubber boots) and I really appreciate the backside and crotch coverage when I take that fateful misstep.

I have a pair of convertible (patagonia) chest waders, they're thicker and definitely get their use for fall/winters. But are too much for summer/spring.
Yeah I figure I'm not in a rush so I have time to explore many options, though rarely is there a chance of taking a wrong step in our streams and if I think it may be an issue I pack my chest waders.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Thanks I'll have to add those to the list to search more on. I'm tossing my Chotas in the wash and going to wash and hang dry them in the house. I'll take them out the next time I go and see if they still let in a bit of water and order some aqua seal and try to pin point the leak and seal them up. Have to say they are my favorite ones so far and even after reading SIMMS site they say all waders will leak at some point or another and they just need some routine care. May as well learn how to fix what I can while it's too cold to fish.
There's a couple ways you can go about finding a leak... 1) fill your hippers up with water... Wait to see leaking water... 2) pitch black room... Put light inside leaky hipper and look for light penetration(heh)... 3) wipe outside with soapy water... Pinch off leg end of hippers while full of air and squeeze... Look for bubbles
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about

There are tons of hippers on the market. It all depends upon your budget and how much of a beating you want to give them.

Click the image to open in full size.

When I did hike and fish in the Beartooths this past summer, my buddy packed in waders similar to the ones above. Lightweight, reasonably durable. I, on the other hand, opted to wet wade, and didn't pack any waders - just boots and neoprene footies. Worked great.

All waders will leak at some point, so I have gotten away from spending big money on them and have opted to buy mid-ranged priced wading pants, like Redingtons, beat them up for three seasons, and start over.