The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 04:44 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Looking for great Hip Waders...

90% of my wading is in small driftless streams and I rarely go more than knee deep in the streams. I've been using a pair of Chota Hippies this last year and they've held up well but have developed a pin hole somewhere around the bootie to wader connection and not that it is cold I need something leak free. I have emailed Chota though probably won't hear anything back till next week.

Anyone else use hip waders and if so which ones? Thinking I would want to stick with stocking foot as I have boots though if I could find a comfortable pair with attached boot I would consider it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for great Hip Waders...

I've been wanting to buy some but I can't remember the brand, maybe someone else remembers. These can be worn as either knee high or hip high waders.

Got it. The Chota Hippies.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I've been wanting to buy some but I can't remember the brand, maybe someone else remembers. These can be worn as either knee high or hip high waders.

Got it. The Chota Hippies.

Click the image to open in full size.
I've got those and they are alright though one of them has a small leak that I can't find so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I can be pretty hard on them as I walk though thick brush and such.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes there's definitely a need for something that goes above the hip... Especially here in the Driftless... I've been belly button deep and deeper in the past... Have you considered chest waders with an integrated wading belt? You can then roll your waders down to waist highs when it's warmer. Also that extra length is a nice wind resistant layer during these cold months...

Imho a lot of hippers are only a couple bucks cheaper than the waders of the same brand... May as well pay a little more and get what's the most versatile
Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 PM

I've got a couple pairs of chest waders including a pair of Hodgmans from the late 90's that are still leak free.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig,

I don't want to seem out of step with the topic but have found that many days that I fish it is raining. Although I get the hip wader thing sitting down without something over your butt is not cool. One other drawback was that when I used hip waders I always found a spot where I could get in too deep no matter where I fished. I would not go lower than the waist and them would be sure my jacket would cover the gap so I didn't end up wet. Rainy days have produced more and bigger fish than sunny days for me hands down
itchmesir and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Thanks, maybe I'll run with my old Hodgmans for a bit and see how well I like them.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

Most of my waders are from cabelas hip waders with boot & sock foot.They get a lot of abuse with not leaks yet Ive had them for at least 5 yrs. If & when they start to leak I will buy cabelas again. I also use Hippies when chasing Brookies & my first set started somewhere around the foot & leg area also. They lasted 3yrs. with knee crawling & stickers I'm happy with them so I bought another pair
Dennis
fredaevans and craigthor like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As Ard, and others, have mentioned is Hippie's have some real built in limitations. Inclement weather being the worst of the worst. But for small stream wading they really do bring 'something to the table.'
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with Fred in what he says; think about this maybe, for actual small streams where I don't intend any real wading I wear a pair of 18" La Cross gum boots. They get it done and are handy for other uses as well.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;