The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pszy22
  • 3 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mesh Mitten

If you do need to handle fish, a mitten made of soft mesh makes life easier for the angler and the fish

Click the image to open in full size.

I find using the mitten allows one to hold/cradle the fish without having to rely on having to apply a firm squeeze to control the fish. It's alot easier to carry around than using a full size net.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mesh Mitten

I read a article (here maybe) where a biologist said the grip on a trout was not hard on them, don't plan on changing my practices over his opinion but found it interesting. However wouldn't the netting scrape all the slime off the fish, leaving it vulnerable to disease? Not condemning your efforts, only raising a question.

All of us will take pictures occasionally and how we handle the fish is important, I rarely take a pic with the fish out of the net anymore but just recently I broke that rule. The pics were of my daughter with her big brown. We did work out a plan prior to taking the pic, I kept the fish in the net in the creek until she had her rod laid down and then swapped places until I had the camera ready, she laid the net on the ground, grabbed the fish for a quick pic and she put it right back in the water.

Dave
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I read a article (here maybe) where a biologist said the grip on a trout was not hard on them, don't plan on changing my practices over his opinion but found it interesting. However wouldn't the netting scrape all the slime off the fish, leaving it vulnerable to disease? Not condemning your efforts, only raising a question.

Dave

I totally agree with you regarding it's best not to handle fish. I personally never touch a fish, I use this gizmo, the fish falls untouched off the hook back into the water -

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't agree with the fact that handling fish doesn't hurt them. I've seen countless fish dropped onto rocks or the bottom of a boat (that's not counting all the fish that get held up under the gill flaps and such). If a person feels compelled to hold onto a fish, in my opinion, using something along the lines of the mitten seems to be the best way to be able to support the fish with minimum impact.

Many folks I see using a net lift the fish out of the water and then grab the fish using the bag of the net. This just eliminates the hoop part of the net.

But we are in total agreement, less is best when it comes to handling fish.
littledavid123 and pm287 like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure on the mitten either. I think it would scrape the fish, which is part of the reason for the move to a rubber net. I will never go back...one it is better for the fish, and two it doesn't get hooks tangled in it as often...which is a nice bonus.

If you hand the fish right, it will sit still for you, for a quick picture....no need to squeeze.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

F.Y.I. regarding the handling of Trout:

Trout dying to get a good photo?

PT/TB
pszy22, dhayden and mysticm like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I believe a product called the Michigan Mitt was the first such gizmo of that type. It works to have a firm grasp of the fish and helps prevent over-handling or dropping of the fish. Just as with your hands when handling a fish, wet the net or mitt before handling a fish. It helps protect the slime layer fish need. Also, don't rub the fish with the mitt, just pick it up (if you have to) then let it go.
My first choice is to let the fish go with it never leaving the water. If it is a sizeable fish worthy of a photo just do as littledavid did and keep the fish in water as you prepare for the quick shot or two.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
F.Y.I. regarding the handling of Trout:

Trout dying to get a good photo?

PT/TB
Very good article and worth the read...I cringe when I see the squeeze behind the head. Hold the tail and cradle the fish with your other hand...supporting its head...no need to squeeze.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Over the years i havent taken many pics of trout landed.

I do all i can to never touch the fish....and at all possible...I dont even use the net. Plus, I dislike carrying a net......