The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By mbchilton
  • 2 Post By hairwing530

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Filson shelter cloth packer hat

Anyone have one of these? Effective in keeping the rain off your head? Long lasting? I know the filson name carries a tradition of excellence but I always like to hear from people first on an expensive item.

Also may purchase one of their wallets but that's besides the point, I have the George Costanza look going on right now with my wallet though so I'm not sure I deserve a filson one.

Ryan
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filson shelter cloth packer hat

Good looking hat, I have the shelter cloth fly fishing vest and it is as tough as nails and imagine the hat will outlast you...

Click the image to open in full size.

Dave
Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 AM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I ended up buying it on ebay, free shipping will always win with me, I'm going to have about 50$ in cabelas points so I may be getting their strap vest something about a hand made item made in the USA.

Ryan
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I ended up buying it on ebay, free shipping will always win with me, I'm going to have about 50$ in cabelas points so I may be getting their strap vest something about a hand made item made in the USA.

Ryan
I have the strap vest, if possible get the foul weather model (made with the shelter cloth waxed/oil). They are water resistant and won't rot.

Dave
repperson29 likes this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 01-09-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I'm a total Filson fan boy and have both the shelter cloth packer hat, and the foul weather strap vest. Both are great pieces. Pull the trigger.
repperson29 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

I'm in total agreement with the guys. My Filson Packer hat has been used and used hard, and it keeps coming back for more and holding up its end of the bargain! Besides, how can you not love an American-made product line that features a hat size large enough to fit my "bucket" head??

OK... since I've already set the table, so to speak, please be gentle with all comments regarding the connection between my hat size and the fact that I have brown eyes...

Besides, the Speaker of the House already has beat everybody to the punch on that one, as she's been telling me that for years...

As for the Filson strap vest? The foul-weather vest is the way to go...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour and repperson29 like this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 AM

Well, looks like I'll have to save my pennies up for the foul weather vest.

Ryan
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Good looking hat, I have the shelter cloth fly fishing vest and it is as tough as nails and imagine the hat will outlast you...

Dave
My brother has had that hat for 20 years.

It's doesn't get as much use as it used to, but it shows very little wear.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Well, looks like I'll have to save my pennies up for the foul weather vest.

Ryan
Excellent choice.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Got the hat today, love the feel, fit, and look. My wife however does not like it, says I look like an old man and I asked what's wrong with that

Ryan