The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 AM

pjcalla has a spectacular aura aboutpjcalla has a spectacular aura about
Default Best waders/boots for $200

I know this is a tall order. I offered to help out my buddy find wading gear. I got him hooked on fly fishing last summer fishing our local river for smallies. He wants to join me this winter fishing for some browns, and needs some new waders. He had been using some 10+ year old neoprene waders, and they sprung a leak between the boot and leg. He tried patching them to no avail, and instead of messing with them, he wants new.

I told him to "buy once, cry once," but he's sticking to his budget of $200. He may be persuaded to go higher, but the closer to $200 the better. No, closeout G3's are not going to make the cut.

I have been looking at Sierra Trading Post and found some older Simms Blackfoot, Frogg Toggs Anura, Caddis, etc. I know LL Bean makes some good, moderately priced waders, as well as Cabelas. Problem is, is that I have no experience with any of these.

So, if it were you and you had $200 to spend on new waders and boots, what would be your choice? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best waders/boots for $200

For a bit over $200 you can get stocking foot waders and a pair of boots from LL Bean and have their great customer service to back them up.
jaybo41 and ejsell like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

Go to Mad River Outfitters. Crazy sale on Simms Headwater waders now - $209 and a bunch of sizes left. These aren't the G3s or G4s but they're a pretty sweet deal. If you search for coupons, he might save a couple more beans. I bought a pair, and I'm happy with them. I've wasted so much money on saving a buck, now it's get Simms or go home. You ever wear leaky waders in January during a white out and 15 deg in NY? It'll change your perspective on wearing crappy gear.

I also found the Simms headwaters wading boots for $89 on another site. Cant beat year end blow outs on Simms stuff!

Cheers....

flytie09
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

I have the Cabelas premium dry plus waders which I purchased as a separate but right now are available with a boot combo for $199, plus 5 dollar shipping with their charge card. I cant speak for the boots, but the waders have been bulletproof. Every product gets a few bad reviews, but these still get overwhelmingly good reviews and and for all practicable purposes have a lifetime guarantee. I appreciated the triple thick knee last week when I slipped and smacked my knee on a rock. Three layers in the knee almost feel like a thin layer of neoprene. Spend more and you get more features, pockets, hand warmers but these are great for pure functionality. My 2 cents atleast.
rusty 54 likes this.

Last edited by moxnichts; 01-10-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

In that 200 range for boots AND waders, you are asking the wrong question. The question is not what are the best waders/boots but where do I get the best return/exchange policies.

I was in that catergory for a couple of years and for me, BPS and Cabelas were my go-to places. Their waders and boots were "OK" but the ease of exchanging when they began to leak or the boots fell apart were fantastic. I was probably trading in 2 pairs of boots a year and 4 to 5 pair of waders. (I wade a LOT) All for an initial investment of roughly $160.

Eventually, I got tired of having to go in and exchange them so I ponied up for some more expensive stuff. I got a solid 8 months without a leak from my Simms and my Korkers look like they have at least another full year left in them. Pretty impressive considering it was only a matter of weeks with the cheap stuff.

In the end, there isn't a right or a wrong way to go. It boils down to budget and if you have easy access to a place that has a good exchange policy. That whole shipping things back sucks and costs money. I like instant gratification
Old 01-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree, the Simms closeouts are hard to beat. I just picked up a pair of G3's for $290 and the Simms guide boots for $129. That's really hard to beat, but he is set on his $200 limit. Unfortunately, there isn't a Bass Pro or Cabelas within a two hour drive from us, so the exchange/replacement policy doesn't really play any role. I'll try and talk him out of his $200 range to move up to something that he won't have to worry about leaking and replacing. Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxnichts View Post
I have the Cabelas premium dry plus waders which I purchased as a separate but right now are available with a boot combo for $199, plus 5 dollar shipping with their charge card. I cant speak for the boots, but the waders have been bulletproof. Every product gets a few bad reviews, but these still get overwhelmingly good reviews and and for all practicable purposes have a lifetime guarantee. I appreciated the triple thick knee last week when I slipped and smacked my knee on a rock. Three layers in the knee almost feel like a thin layer of neoprene. Spend more and you get more features, pockets, hand warmers but these are great for pure functionality. My 2 cents atleast.
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but those boots suck. My brother and I both have them. They're lightweight and the quality is good enough, but they're so uncomfortable. On a weeklong trip last spring we were both icing our feet at the end of every day. Looking to replace mine this winter.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM

nctribute is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree, the Simms closeouts are hard to beat. I just picked up a pair of G3's for $290 and the Simms guide boots for $129. That's really hard to beat, but he is set on his $200 limit. Unfortunately, there isn't a Bass Pro or Cabelas within a two hour drive from us, so the exchange/replacement policy doesn't really play any role. I'll try and talk him out of his $200 range to move up to something that he won't have to worry about leaking and replacing. Thanks again.
Where did you find those prices? Best I have seen is $360 and $149.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctribute View Post
Where did you find those prices? Best I have seen is $360 and $149.
Local fly shop. I was amazed. I was going to buy online, but wanted to try them on first. I called my local shop to see if they had the sizes I wanted to try on. I told them upfront that I was planning on purchasing online for the closeout deal, and would buy some other stuff for their time. He laughed and said we have them on closeout as well, so I went and bought them. I'm not sure if they have more or the size, but here is the link to the shop. Call them and find out. They do not have the clearance listed on the site, which is why I had no clue they were having the sale.

Wildcat Creek Outfitters Flyfishing Outfitter and Guide Service

I found some Patagonia Watermaster waders on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $120, but before he could pull the trigger, they sold out. Oh well, the search continues.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Try Blue Quill, they have Simms and Redington waders for sale for $30-40 above his budget.
I hope they have his size, go to page 2. better be hurry, the Simms are gone now.

Awesome Offers on Fly Fishing Gear from Simms Sage and More