The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First outboard, Unanswered questions

I doubt the 6hp 4s has a compression relief, as they are not hard to start or pull at all. I have a Merc 5hp 4s, and the best tip I've learned on starting is to pull the rope EASY until you feel a bit of resistance, or more resistance than normal, this indicates the engine is on the "compression stroke" and then let the pull rope retract as much as possible, then pull HARD, it will start much easier when cycling the engine to the compression stroke, rather than pulling the rope on the intake or exhaust cycles.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

The guys have answered your questions. Just one comment on prerunning it in a barrel. That proves the engine will start and run. It does not always mean you are golden. This is a no load situation. You essentially have a 6HP kitchen mixer not under load. We aren't baking a cake here so while it's a worthwhile exercise, it doesn't prove much. Sooo many times my relatives brought motors not boat tested 600 miles to northern MN on vacations. I then spent days being the family mechanic. While they make long runs to civilization for coil packs, spark plugs etc. Test it on the boat as soon as you can.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road

labradorguy, jimp and ia_trouter , i appreciate your helps, again. Thank you.

My motor is new. I don't know what a compression release looks like. So i can't be sure about that. I Googled it and i guess it is not something that can be photographed .

As i practice, i learn pulling the rope. I guess jimp is right. I should make an easy pull first, and then harder ones will not injure me.

ia_trouter, i live very close to a desert. I need to drive a lot to use that motor. Since it is bloody hard to set up an aluminum bottom boat and a 60 lbs. engine by myself, i need to find a company, everytime i want to test it.

Labradorguy, why did you say that i will need some spare shear pins? In what cases will i need to replace it? There are no outboard services or dealers around too. The nearest one is 140 miles away from me. After buying my engine, i heard that it's hard to find spare parts for Suzuki outboards in the Turkey. That was disappointing...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

The outboard is brand new? Read the owners manual a few times and go fishing. The spare shear pins are not a bad idea at all. A dealer can tell you if it is equipped. Email one and ask. They are needed if you hit something very solid underwater with your prop. They are cheap so order some.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

If you have a bicycle shop or machine shop near you, they may have a machine available to check the balance of your prop. Filing the blades ( slightly ) so they all match will help remove the vibration. It is similar to balancing the wheels on a car or motorcycle, but the machine has a point that the hub sits on, and a bubble level on top. When the prop dips down, a little can be filed off that blade until the prop sits level. Try to retain the shape and contours of the prop.
Along with shear pins, you might also might want to carry a spare spark plug.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

As jimp mentioned before, 4 strokes don't have a compression release.
I have a Honda 9.9 4 stroke, had a Nissan 5hp -4 and the OP manual on both say if you're going to transport it laying down, you have to do it a certain way, might be handle down or handle up.
I put an additive in mine- Seafoam and use premium gas. I'm not sure if you can get Seafoam in Turkey though.
Dings in a prop can be straightened, and your prop is aluminum. File rough edges down. Extra shear pins are a good idea. To drain all your water out, just pull the boat out of the water and lower the motor down. I also run all the fuel out of the carb before pulling it out of the water. One thing to remember, fuel will turn to varnish very quickly in a small carb in the heat if not run out. That'll give you more headaches.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road

ia_trouter, siege and mojo, thank you.

I used my motor in saltwater only once but i forgot the get the gas out, and i also couldn't flush it. I hope i didn't damage it so badly.

Do i have to have that flush plug to flush my engine? We don't have it in Turkey? Can't i connect the hose directly? It will be very hard to find original shear pins or spark plugs for my Suzuki. Can i use some other brands' pins and plugs or do i need the Suzuki ones?

My prop is all right , right now. If it gets worse i will take it to a bicycle shop.

ia_trouter, yes it is brandnew.

Last edited by querorz; 02-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Can you go to Suzuki.com to find shear pins and other parts?

I used to run prop motors and you must be very careful of the bottom, good luck and give us pictures

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Shear pins will fit in a small envelope. If they won't ship to Turkey somebody here could mail them. A bit of a hassle but you need some spares. And don't stress not draining the fuel for a just few weeks or months. Yes you should do it, but it doesn't ruin stuff that quick. Leave it in a year or more and it can devastate a small carburetor.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

The water intake on small OB's are sometimes different from the larger OB's as they are usually on the underside of the cavitation plate (on my 4stroke it is) so flushing after using in saltwater may mean you will have to use the barrel again to flush the saltwater out of the water passages in the engine block. Look on the lower unit on both sides and see if there are any grooves/holes for water to be sucked into the motor for cooling. If none, then look on the underside of the cav plate and see if the holes/grate, etc is there. If the holes are on the side of the lower unit, you can use "muffs" to flush the motor. If not, use the barrel to flush, and you can run the carbs dry during this procedure.