The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 12:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your thoughts on this canoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Ever thought of a pram? There are fly fishing specific prams out there. google fly fishing pram (no hot links for this boy!! lol) and you'll find all kinds...very light, not too expensive. If I were soloing on warm water ponds and lakes (and didn't use my canoe, which is how I go), I'd invest in a pram.

Gary
+1 here with Gary. 8' prams are very common on the lower Chetco River (SW Oregon) for the fall King Salmon fishing. Majority of the casting is done from a seated position, but what the heck it works just fine.

Only twiddly thing with the above is the guys will anchor up in a 'Hog Line' that can stretch half way across the river in low water. Best time to fish is an hour before high tide (tide goes up over a mile) till the end of the out flow.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I had never heard of a pram until a few minutes ago. It seems to share the jon characteristics.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

they do come in 2-person versions...lightness, think lightness.
Gary
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:28 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
they do come in 2-person versions...lightness, think lightness.
Gary
Light is very good. 10ft Jon will weigh about 105#. I think my wide 14ft canoe which looked more like a kayak was 70# or so. It's nice if it can be carried/dragged a few hundred feet when necessary. Throw in the back of a pickup or perhaps on the roof of my Jeep Cherokee. Not looking for a big adventure rig, but some portability is a nice feature. Right now I launch a 17ft Alumacraft walleye boat, and then putt around the lake on a trolling motor because my big motor is not allowed on most flyfishing water around here (nor should it be allowed). It's just extreme overkill when I am not on big water.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I had never heard of a pram until a few minutes ago. It seems to share the jon characteristics.
Very similar, just a heck of a lot shorter. Usually made out of wood and some of those are made out of (plywood faced) 'exotic woods.' God those are beautiful to see.

fae
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

i have a 10ft v hull row boat i use on larger rivers. I have a small 6hp outboard. A trolling motor is only like 1/4-1/2hp for comparison. if you have any distance to go i'd go small outboard. its a more efficient design, much more energy in a gallon of gas vs a 12volt battery. get one that has a integral gas tank. Can fish with 2 people in the boat. only one fishing at a time as i'm fishing rivers and someone has to control the boat as you float down river anyways. but could fish 2 at a time if both are aware of the others casting direction. my boat is small and light enough that i can drag it over log jams and trailer it easily by myself. keep it as small as you can, easier to handle.
i'd forget about canoes, to unstable, too easily blown about by the wind, not really good for fishing from.
i coated the bottom of my boat with truck bed liner. i wouldn't carpet it. i don't see noise as a issue for me as i stand still when casting. not walking around or moving your feet around when you casting.

now if your going to fish big lakes then that's another discussion.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

These things are more stable than a 16 ft john boat even,,,the 10 ft has room for two,,and a troller will push it wonderfully. You can stand up, or fish from the swivel seats. I love mine,,sold my jon boat after I fly fished from this a couple times. Plastic, super quiet to move around on,,,and super stable. I use a small 8ft trailer and even if i cant access a boat ramp all i need is close,..slide it off and slide it to the water. I use a kayak some,,but this ..to me,,is the perfect fly fishing tool for small lakes and non-whitewater rivers.

Click the image to open in full size.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I'd cover the whole front half in ply wood and carpet it... Make for a better casting area... Otherwise slap a motor on it and a little troller and you're set
That boat is getting pretty heavy!

Old 02-23-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That boat is getting pretty heavy!

It can get that way fast. I have a 50# thrust troller I shortened the shaft on and I have powered a 14' V with it many times. It will be more than enough. If not, I took the wrong boat. Anything that need a gas motor is not being considered. The casting deck idea is very worthwhile IMO, but has to be well designed to keep the weight down. It can also be test fit for a trial run.

My uncle had a plastic bass buggy years ago so I am skeptical of that in anything but dead still water. He was a big boy too though. I can see it being a great one man rig for the proper water. The jon has the huge advantage of tip it upside down outside with no care and it will still live 30+ years. Anything plastic needs to be out of the sun. I have enough toys outside to tend to as it is.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. They all have merit for a particular situation.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
These things are more stable than a 16 ft john boat even,,,the 10 ft has room for two,,and a troller will push it wonderfully. You can stand up, or fish from the swivel seats. I love mine,,sold my jon boat after I fly fished from this a couple times. Plastic, super quiet to move around on,,,and super stable. I use a small 8ft trailer and even if i cant access a boat ramp all i need is close,..slide it off and slide it to the water. I use a kayak some,,but this ..to me,,is the perfect fly fishing tool for small lakes and non-whitewater rivers.

Click the image to open in full size.
I've checked these out a couple times in the past... Just how stable are they? How do you handle one on a river? There's no places for oars?

I cannot swim and ultimate stability is a must... For peace of mind...

Often I can find these boats on Craigslist for less than $500