The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By trout trekker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 PM

mrt10x is on a distinguished road
Default Oars for 10' Outcast Pontoon

So I bought a Outcast PAC 1000 on clearance over the winter. I plan on using it on the Green River, up at Grey Reef, maybe down on the Arkansas once the rafting season is over and the flows have dropped. Anyway, I read a bunch of stuff about how crappy the oars were on most of these boats and that a good upgrade would be a new set of oars. I get prodeal pricing on Carlisle Oars, just wondering if a 9' HD Carlisle Oar would be too much oar for my boat?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Oars for 10' Outcast Pontoon

I have Carlisle oars for both my pontoon boats and they are very good quality. I would direct this question to a raft dealer for a professional opinion but your choice sounds good to me.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM

mrt10x is on a distinguished road

Thanks.... It only took 4 years of lurking for me to make my first post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

9' if I remember correctly are the size of oars on drift boats. On my NFO X5 I have some 7' Scadden/Sawyer's. I wouldn't go any bigger than 7' for your boat.
You might want to check this one out. Looks kick arse.
SAWYER SMALL STEALTH (SST) OAR
Hardyreels and trout trekker like this.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Welcome mrt10x,

I had one of the original Bucks 9 foot Broncos and a Outcast 1100 HD and used an 7’ Carlisle’s on them.
I would think nine footers would be a bear on your boat.
For comparison, I use 9 ½’ counterbalanced composite oars on my drift boat, but the thing to keep in mind is the width of your oar lock placements and vertical rise. My DB oarlocks are 7’1” apart with a 26” vertical rise, your pontoon boat will be more like 5’ apart with a lower vertical rise. 9’ oars on your pontoon would make for some very low oar strokes without a lot of room for deviation and even if they were counterbalanced, which would require a good deal of weight, you’d be unnecessarily making your rig four feet wider than it needs to be, reducing one of the pontoons strengths, controlled access to narrower slots, tight spots etc.

I'm also not so sure I'd call the factory supplied oars crappy. They're more than sufficient for the vast majority of the garage queen pontoon boats sold that only see the water a dozen days or less each year. But if you're going to be putting some serious time on the boat and have to row a great deal of frog water, etc. then I'd be likely to upgrade the oars and hang one of the old ones as a spare.

Outcast / Aire are huge in the whitewater / inflatable business, if they recommend a 7’ oar there’s a reason for it. But a quick call to them for a brain picking session, especially before plunking down a wad of dough on an oar upgrade might be a good idea. If there’s a better oar match up for your application, no one would know better than they would.

Have a great season, Dave
Hardyreels likes this.