The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default 2 Boot questions

I am getting to the point I am going need to buy another pair of boots. Here is the scenario, I know I am either going to get Korkers or Simms when the time comes. I currently have Simms G4 guides that have a bout 4 years on them. The rubber soles are worn pretty bare, I am on my 3rd set of laces for each boot, so yes they have gotten used. These are my Winter, Spring , Late Fall boots. For summer wet wading I uses Simms RiverTek BOA's. I bought the RT's the same size as my street shoe since they are wet waders for just a thin neoprene sock.

All that being said the RT's are like new (less than 10 days on them) but to small for full waders and socks, so I need a pair for that.

1) Tell me about the Korker Interchangeable sole system. Are they a pain in the rear to change. If I only use rubber sole with metal studs, are they any advantage. Are these soles durable etc etc etc ?

2) Tell me if you have experience with BOA system in the winter. I've fished many days where the temp is 10 degrees or below. I have had shoelaces freeze solid. Do the BOA's hold up to freezing conditions like that very well. I love the BOA's for ease of use, but my experience is limited to summer conditions.

I know Patagonia and other brands are good, quite frankly I will buy one of these two brands since my local fly shop carries these two brands and I choose to support them. Since both of these brands carry good brand recognition and warranty I will limit my choices to this to support the guys.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 PM

tx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 Boot questions

My opinion probably isn't worth much as I'm a newb and haven't used them long, but I bought a pair of korkers 4-5 weeks ago and have been really happy with them. I went with the white horse (the less expensive model that comes with BOA lacing). The soles are easy to change out and the break-in period was very short. I've got 6-7 trips in on them and have hiked a mile or two on a couple of those trips, and have no complaints.

Shoes are one thing I definitely don't mind paying a premium for to buy local and support a fly shop. I bought mine in Golden and both the shop employee and the guide hanging out had great things to say about the Korkers.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The new version of the Korker's are excellent; the originals were total junk.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 AM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I had bought Simms wading boots before I purchased my Korkers. I will not go back as I love the interchangeable soles! I have felt, where allowed, the rubber and I use the rubber/metal studs most of the time. Korkers design is thought out well. The soles change out very easily. Regarding the BOA system, I have not had any issues. With that said, I have only fished them down to an air temp of 20 degrees-water temp was just above freezing as the river was starting to lock up. I didn't experience any issues with the boot.
Simply put, i will buy another pair when this one wears out-you can't go wrong.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I have only ever used korkers. I had about 5 hard seasons on my last pair and the only thing I had break was a shoelace this past fall. I recently just picked up a pair of korker chromes with the boa system. Other Han trying them on in the shop, I have yet to take them out of the box. They feel very light, and I love the option of being able to chose my soles. Go with the korkers, you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thank you all for the feedback. It is good to know the new korkers are improved over the older ones.

As far as the BOA's freezing, as my wife would say. " Why in the hell do you want to go stand in a frozen river anyway"
tx_newb likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson