The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Net recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I have the measure net and it will fit a 24" fish in it. I bought the magnetic caribiner for it, which is cool

2 Flaws with the measure net

1) It is fabric so I snag so dang many flies in it when releasing fish

2) The measurements are accurate so puts stretching the truth out the window
Youre saying you have just the plain fabric net, not the rubber coated one? I have a rubber basket net but have considered a measurenet.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Youre saying you have just the plain fabric net, not the rubber coated one? I have a rubber basket net but have considered a measurenet.
Yeah it's just the plain off the shelf bass pro shop purchase of the measure net. I think the fabric has a little coating of plastic on it.

It's a great lightweight net, the caribiner helps keep it out of they way, but if I am fishing a double or triple set up and catch a fish I always snag one of the flies in the net on release. That being said it isn't worth upgrading to a $100 net right now so I will stick with this for my current fishing. If I go after lake run browns this fall again I will get a big one.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Going to go the route of the brodin streambase firehole net. As fall approaches I'll look for a bigger net for steelies.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ryan
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Going to go the route of the brodin streambase firehole net. As fall approaches I'll look for a bigger net for steelies.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ryan
Did you get the net , and have you got to use it.

I have a B-Day coming up and will probably have some funding coming my way for frivolous purchases. I already have overpriced nippers and hemostats so thinking round it out with a spend net.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I have a B-Day coming up and will probably have some funding coming my way for frivolous purchases. I already have overpriced nippers and hemostats so thinking round it out with a spend net.
The rubber nets are worth the extra money, they really make things allot easier.
winstonwt likes this.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I did get the net, I just haven't been out to fish with it, were in the process of moving (and me fixing up the house) I haven't had any free time. Were hoping to be moved in this coming Saturday so perhaps a Father's Day trip is in order hopefully and I'll get to use the net.

I can say it looks very nice and is very lightweight!

Ryan
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 PM

catskilljohn is on a distinguished road

I bought one of those Brodin's with the ghost bag, a teardrop shaped hoop that's 14 inches. I love the way hooks just bounce off it. The trout don't seem to like it, but they hate everything about fishing! CJ
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Cabela's has a rubber net that would work nicely on rivers for $20 right now.

Cabela's Rubber Landing Net : Cabela's
Old 06-09-2014, 06:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky and received a Brodin with Ghost net for Christmas a couple of years ago. I absolutely love the net. The rubber makes it a little heavier to travel with on a plane but much easier to deal with flies after unhooking a fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
comeonavs and repperson29 like this.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM

You guys are killing me

I fish where the majority of the fish require no net. However it is better to net them and release than me perform the iron claw on them as I dehook. So I only need a small net, but "what if" I catch a big one, "what if I go somewhere different", "do I need a small Brodin and a large Brodin" I have a measure net that snags midges so " do I tolerate that", do I buy a rubber bag for that, do I look cool,will the chicks dig it

The mental Olympics it requires me to rationalize such things is a encumbrance

That one you show there Jaybo is really screaming my name
aphotodog likes this.