The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Net recommendations

I'm looking around for nets and was wondering if you guys could throw some options out there. I mainly do small creek fishing with browns usually no longer than 15" but will also be steelhead fishing. Price range is probably 60$ is as high as I'd go, preferably made in the USA and is wood.

Any nets meet my criteria?

Thanks for all your help!

Ryan
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Net recommendations

A net suitably sized for netting steelhead will be far too large for your average creek trout here in PA. Likewise, what's good for the trout will be too small for steelhead unless you feel like carrying around an obnoxiously large net for trout.

Have a look at LL Bean, Orvis or Cabelas. I'm not sure you'll find one made in the US there or within your price range but maybe one of the other folks has some intel that I do not.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have the measure net and it will fit a 24" fish in it. I bought the magnetic caribiner for it, which is cool

2 Flaws with the measure net

1) It is fabric so I snag so dang many flies in it when releasing fish

2) The measurements are accurate so puts stretching the truth out the window
mridenour likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Would keep an eye on ebay for a good used brodin with the ghost (silicone net) netting. I agree with the others when trying to find a net for small streams and for steelheads.

Dave
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Blue Ribbon wood frame with ghost net I've been thinking about selling. Its a long narrow hoop with a shallow net bag, I think the hoop is 16 x 9" and about 24" overall. It was made in Bozeman, Montana. He has a website, its a "catch and release" model.

I think it would be perfect for the trout fishing you've described. I bought it to replace a net I'd lost but haven't really used it much. I've moved away from using a net lately.

I'd want a little more than $60 for it ... We can negotiate via PM of you're interested. You will be hard pressed to find a made in US wood net for less than $100.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one from the ebay store and Brodin sells replacement nets in clear or mesh.

Dave

Brodin Brook Trout Pro Series Fly Fishing Landing Net | eBay
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

If you can afford it, I would recommend you get a net with one of the newer rubber or silicon bags. I've used the fabric bags for years, but the new silicon bags are easy on the fish and flies don't get stuck in them.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Wood nets,,,,,,Stephens,,,,they now come with your choice of a ghost rubber bag or black rubber,,and the net is a good bit deeper than a catch and release net. SUPER quality and decently priced. They CAN put you a catch and release clear or black rubber bag on any net,,,,,,or,,,a deep clear or black rubber bag on any net if you ask. When I got mine, I talked to Miz Stephens,,nicest lady you would ever wish to talk to. Had my net in just a couple or three days.

Our Hand Crafted Wooden Landing Nets

Non-wood net.

Fishpond Nomad net.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think these are no longer made by Brodin but they may show up on the Auction Site. The hoop is about 13" long by 5 3/4 wide. They were the old style C&R nets that Brodin made in the 70's & 80's but I don't see them on the website now. For small creek fish they are great; small enough to be out of the way but way better than trying to handle small fish. For fish like steelhead you will need something with a substantial hoop.

Click the image to open in full size.

The bag isn't real deep and is made of a fabric, they say the new stuff is better but I've used this for a long time. It keeps fish calm and if you're using barbless hooks, no worries.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I think these are no longer made by Brodin but they may show up on the Auction Site. The hoop is about 13" long by 5 3/4 wide. They were the old style C&R nets that Brodin made in the 70's & 80's but I don't see them on the website now. For small creek fish they are great; small enough to be out of the way but way better than trying to handle small fish. For fish like steelhead you will need something with a substantial hoop.

The bag isn't real deep and is made of a fabric, they say the new stuff is better but I've used this for a long time. It keeps fish calm and if you're using barbless hooks, no worries.
That looks like my 2yr old Brodin Pro Series Firehole model. Still being made, awesome net for catch and release. I feel the shallow net bag is a big advantage. I think they still make a less expensive version too, the Streambase.
hairwing530 likes this.