The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 04:10 AM

zarick is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon question

I posted this in the wrong forum

So.. I got excited about pontoons. I started looking and searching new and Craigslist. One came up and I jumped on it. However, I kinda wish I hadn't. I paid $200 because it was basically unused. However the guy didn't have the bags nor the stripping net for it. So I have a bagless, netless pontoon.

It is a venture outdoor colorado. 8' You can find the specs on this page under durapro: Venture Outdoors - Pontoon Boats

This is however an older model that doesn't have the motor or wheel mount bracket and instead has a different back.
Mine looks like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

So now I am suffering extreme buyers remorse and am thinking I should cut my losses, resell it and get something newer.

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pontoon question

Kids seem to like it .

.. and they do sell "replacement parts"

jpbfly and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 AM

My worry is I should have just gotten a bimart or costco one for $100 more.. or that one at cabelas for $50. I think this one is better quality, but I don't know if that really matters for lake fishing.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Venture Outdoors - Replacement Parts

Get ahold of Carol. Great lady. She can set you up. For 2 bills ya did ok. Another great Utah product.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

The best things in life are built, not bought.

Thike of it as a blank slate. You can now outfit your pontoon the way you want.

Better quality is always better, IMO.

CAB
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 AM

Part of the reason I jumped on it was because it seemed like a higher quality one.. but does anyone know if it really is? I don't know much about venture outdoors.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 AM

The more I look over my new toon the more I am unsure that it really was unused. There are several spots where the cover has scratches and the very tips have rub marks. A couple go all the way down to the fabric stuff underneath the pvc. Granted they are all very small, but still. I would expect something newly out of the box to be defect free (I guess I could be expecting too much). The frame is defect free though as are the oars and the bottoms where I would expect scratches have none.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The guy could have put it together outside on the driveway and drug it around. Who knows. Sounds like no matter what, you won't be happy. Just sell it and get something you'll like. Brand new in box. But unless you want junk, you'll pay more than 2 bills.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Point taken.
So.. question. Is there any harm in some of the pvc being rubbed/scratche off? Will it cause any harm or is it just a look issue. Honestly the only one that would see it would be me (I am anal about my stuff and try to keep it pristine.. which never works unless I don't use it. My fly rod is pristine though.. reel not so much)
Do normal pontoons see this level of wear over time. I.E. do normal pontoons see some of the pvc rubbed off at all.. we are talking tiny spots?