The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knots

Came across this site the other day. Very well done:

Orvis_Knots
Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Knots

Hi Joni,

That is a good site for knots. I found it a while back but wasn't nice enough to share it like you. Maybe we can post a link to it in the FAQ section. I don't think that would be a no, no.

Frank
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to pm you Frank about that, cause this is one of the best demos I have seen.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

I posted a link in the Fishing Techniques FAQ.

There is a problem that the site does not cover all of the necessary knots. I will try to add some instruction for tying the Surgeon's Loop. I am glad to see they used the Triple Surgeon's knot instead of the double.

Frank
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Frank ------ this site has surgeons loop.

Grog's Fishing Knots Index
Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Knots

Frank,

I endorse Imxer's sugggestion of the Grog's Animated Knots website. While I like the Orvis site, Grogs has more options (fast, slow, etc.) in their animation, and the contrasting colors show up better, making it somewhat easier to follow.

Neil
Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys,

I amended the FAQ post and included both sites.

Frank
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

It's too bad that neither the Orvis nor the Grog's site shows how to tie the Davy or Pitzen knots, two of the more interesting lesser known knots that showed up on my "What knot do you tie your fly on with" Forum poll. One website - interestingly enough, of French origin but English language - does show both knots including many others (http://www.pechetruite.com). I intend to give these two knots - especially the easy/fast-to-tie Davy knot - a good try-out this year, since the Davy is regarded as particularly good on small flies and is fast to tie, just what I need on the San Juan.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24 PM

The link in the previous post should be Fishing knots for flies, hooks, leader, line, loop , but the site locked me out before I could correct it.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Neil,

I added the French site into the FAQ. I think we now have any basic knot covered that might be wanted for fly fishing.

Frank