The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road
Default Vest with hydration

I normally carry a large water bottle in a holster that I bought at LL Bean a number of years ago that fits on my wading belt. I have a tendency to become dehydrated on hot days. Last year I was on a river on a very hot day, and finished my water while a long way from my car. By the time I got back, I was in pretty tough shape.

I'm looking for a fishing vest (not chest pack) that's made to hold a reservoir, similar to a Camelback. I want to carry a lot of water. For instance, the Camelback that I wear when I ride my bike holds 100 oz.

Does anyone know who makes such a thing? I saw a vest by Redington online, and it holds 1.5 liters. I can't tell from the photo how it's made.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Vest with hydration

Google/hit the REI web site, all outdoor gear for the 'hard core.' They will have a lot of options for you to consider.

Fred
Old 06-01-2014, 09:21 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default Re: Vest with hydration

I used to use my vest with the camel back inside but it didn't rest comfortably on my back. I also mountain bike and just use my camel back backpack and have plenty of room and bring a lunch. I just wear a fishing shirt with my flybox in the pocket. Saved $ from buying another vest.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Hate to say it but when I wore a vest I simply wore a camelback under my vest.

It isn't the camel back that has backpack type features, it literally is a camelback pack that holds the bladder and a little pocket for about 3 granola bars. So it isn't so big bulky that it wouldn't fit under the vest.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivizadams View Post
I normally carry a large water bottle in a holster that I bought at LL Bean a number of years ago that fits on my wading belt. I have a tendency to become dehydrated on hot days. Last year I was on a river on a very hot day, and finished my water while a long way from my car. By the time I got back, I was in pretty tough shape.

I'm looking for a fishing vest (not chest pack) that's made to hold a reservoir, similar to a Camelback. I want to carry a lot of water. For instance, the Camelback that I wear when I ride my bike holds 100 oz.

Does anyone know who makes such a thing? I saw a vest by Redington online, and it holds 1.5 liters. I can't tell from the photo how it's made.
I went through this last winter. Many people sell them - Fishpond, Umpqua, Simms, Orvis... They all have vests or packs with built-in places to drop in a hydration bladder. In all of them, you provide the bladder.

It's a matter of finding the one that makes you happy. In my case, I couldn't find anything that I liked better than my Simms Guide vest with a Camelback worn under it. That's not to say that you won't find one you like.

Hope this helps,

Todd

Edit: If you wind up buying a Camelbak to wear under your vest like I did, put the Camelback on before you pull up the straps on your waders. This gives you one less thing to take off when you need to dispose of some of that water.

One last thought to consider... Camelback (and all of the people listed above) sell some backpacks that could work well with fly fishing. If you go that route, you could consider a sling or chest pack to keep your tackle in.
comeonavs likes this.

Last edited by ts47; 06-01-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

I actually purchased the LL Bean Rapid River Vest Pack for exactly the same reason. Additionally, it is very cool to where year around, expandable to carry lunch and a rain jacket, hoody, layers, etc. and has their 100% no questions asked lifetime-warranty to back it. I have had the pack fro two years now and since two of my friends have purchased the same pack for the same reasons, it's purely one of the most versatile packs on the market.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45399...oductId=784625
Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
I actually purchased the LL Bean Rapid River Vest Pack for exactly the same reason. Additionally, it is very cool to where year around, expandable to carry lunch and a rain jacket, hoody, layers, etc. and has their 100% no questions asked lifetime-warranty to back it. I have had the pack fro two years now and since two of my friends have purchased the same pack for the same reasons, it's purely one of the most versatile packs on the market.

That looks pretty sweet.

I have to stop, I have 2 vests already a little hip pack, medium hip pack and a larger Simms pack, Plus a massive Orvis backpack for that I could spend a night out of.

Then Dean has a pack for sale in the classifieds I want that would be great for a day trip in to the mountains.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post

Looks interesting! I'll have to check it out!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road

I took a look at the Rapid River Vest Pack, and I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Thanks-
Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM

deanb10s is on a distinguished road

Patagonia hybrid pack vest is the bomb... Holds 100oz camelback (sold separate), large fly boxes, and more, $99

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk