The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 AM

markg52 will become famous soon enough
Default Latest Watercraft

Click the image to open in full size.
Here is my latest fishing watercraft, the Wilderness Systems Ride115X. This picture was on her maiden voyage a few weeks ago on Beaver tail waters. Really liking it a lot. Still got some rigging to do on it, but for now it's good to go.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest Watercraft

Sweet looking setup, you will definitely have fun with that watercraft! What additional rigging are you thinking about doing?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

For sure an anchor trolley, a Ram baitcast reel holder, probably one flush mount rod holder, and eventually electronics on the removable console. I may rig up a milk crate for the tank well, but right now that big waterproof bag is suiting me just fine.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Nice, the elevated seat is making casting easier. Be careful when you turn your head when you are reaching for the crate in the back.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Nice one for sure. I've got a 115 that I like a lot, but does not have the elevated seat like yours. I've got my FF mounted on a ram mount, xducer mounted on same mounting plate with the power wires run thru the foot well to the front storage compartment where I place the battery when in use. check out madd frog gear for some options in mounting your accessories.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:46 PM

There is a new seat coming out around October for the Ride's. In the spy shot I saw, it has the Jackson, lawn chair sort of look, with some sort ratchet or cam type adjustment for raising and lowering the seat. My local Kayak store provided me with a voucher for $150 towards the purchase of the new seat.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Here is the spy shot I mentioned in earlier post.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

How much higher is your seat than the standard seat, if you happen to know or sat in the lower seat when trying 'em out.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to all

I bought a fishing kayak a couple years ago. The first thing I did was take the seat off my pontoon boat and modified it onto the yak.
I have to have good lumbar support or I wont last long on the water. The seat worked really nicely, but I was frustrated fishing from the kayak as it was so susceptible to shifting heading in even the slightest breeze when youre trying to fish. Fly fishing really requires your chest to be facing your retrieve to be effective. So as the wind moved me around I would have to grab the paddle to make an adjustment. I ended up making an anchor trolley and it worked ok, but I ended up carrying two anchors one fore and aft. I could fish effectively even in wind if I had both anchors out. Problem is, I like to cover water. So it was up and down with both anchors all the time.

Long story short, My yak has found a comfy home in my garage rafters. It does have a nice seat tho
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
I bought a fishing kayak a couple years ago. The first thing I did was take the seat off my pontoon boat and modified it onto the yak.
I have to have good lumbar support or I wont last long on the water. The seat worked really nicely, but I was frustrated fishing from the kayak as it was so susceptible to shifting heading in even the slightest breeze when youre trying to fish. Fly fishing really requires your chest to be facing your retrieve to be effective. So as the wind moved me around I would have to grab the paddle to make an adjustment. I ended up making an anchor trolley and it worked ok, but I ended up carrying two anchors one fore and aft. I could fish effectively even in wind if I had both anchors out. Problem is, I like to cover water. So it was up and down with both anchors all the time.

Long story short, My yak has found a comfy home in my garage rafters. It does have a nice seat tho
Flygrain;

Google "anchor trolley" and consider installing one on your yak, allows you to move the same anchor front to back or anywhere in between without much effort. Maybe you'll dust off the cobwebs and give it try again. Sorry for thread jack.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Flygrain;

Google "anchor trolley" and consider installing one on your yak, allows you to move the same anchor front to back or anywhere in between without much effort. Maybe you'll dust off the cobwebs and give it try again. Sorry for thread jack.
I did make a really cool anchor trolley and used it a lot. The problem was, if the wind got going, my heading would "swim". The problem for me with anchors is Im a very mobile fisherman. So using an anchor was like playing with an 8# yoyo I really liked the ability to get around the lakes quickly on it. If the kayak had a hole in it to put your feet down and use fins, that would be really good!
I still use it on occasion for touring, but not fishing.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl