The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By oldskewl808
  • 1 Post By jslo
  • 1 Post By grtlksmarlin
  • 1 Post By Flygrain
  • 2 Post By smilingduck
  • 1 Post By joshw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Need new sunglasses? ...and not ala ZZ Top

I pride myself on keeping track of my things, and taking care of my stuff. I've had the same pair of sunglasses for, I am guessing, 10 years. Until this evening. I was working outside all day, walking between a treehouse project and the garage, I had my glasses on, and I often flip them up on my cap. This evening when I looked for them they seemed to disappear. I'm afraid I flipped my cap off at some point and they fell away. I've looked in the garage around all my tool piles and retraced the routes. I can't find them.

They were the first really good pair of polarized glasses I bought, Smith Action Optics, I know I paid a little over a hundred bucks at the time, it was a big purchase.

So now I may be looking again and I see that the Smiths are now in the $200 range!

I'd like to here some thoughts and opinions on your sunglasses. Is brown/amber the best all around lens?

The big problem is I have a fishing plan tomorrow and I'm afraid I might stop in the shop on my way and splurge!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need new sunglasses? ...and not ala ZZ Top

I'm a big fan of my Natives. Don't remember which model I got, might not sell it now, but they have a lot of styles. I use the brown lenses but they have lens kits to switch them out if needed.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Man that sucks

I'm sort of a glasses *****, good shades are up there with Allen Edmond shoes and Tag watches.

I'm a Oakley and Maui Jim guy for my daily wearer polarized glasses. All have the darker lense. I do have a pair of Prato polarized with etched cheaters in a lighter brown lense. I use those for low light fishing days.

I'm so neurotic I actually buy new lenses for my Oakleys every other year as they pick up scratches in the lenses.

Sorry I am not much help but offering empathy
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

I really like my amber lens Costa Blackfins. Glass lens is a must for me. One way to go is look for some old stock on the big auction. Makers like Smith, Neptune, Arnet, Maui Jim all used to make some great amber glass.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:48 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I have been sporting the Spy Cooper polarized. I enjoy them, super comfortable glasses and IMHO very affordable...am I missing something big on this? I like them and the price is right so...here is a link:
Amazon.com: Spy Optic Cooper Xl 670036316074 Polarized Wrap Sunglasses,Brown Stripe Tortoise Frame/Bronze Polarized Lens,One Size: Clothing Amazon.com: Spy Optic Cooper Xl 670036316074 Polarized Wrap Sunglasses,Brown Stripe Tortoise Frame/Bronze Polarized Lens,One Size: Clothing

and a pic:
Click the image to open in full size.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Always having been a RayBan guy for close to 40 years....Though it is hard to say how well they would compare, you could look into "Flying Fisherman's" line which run roughly $75 for the plastic (think $150) for the glass.

In a rush last year to make my trip, I on the otherhand just picked up a pair of "Edge" Safety/Polarized/Grey tint/Blue Mirror/Rubber accented frame at the local hardware for $35......thinking I'd replace them on the road. Well they worked well enough that I kept them and used them on the trip though the tint wasn't ideal.

However, this year burning through the reserves I decided why spend upwards of $400, even $200 on shades for the wife and I when those (the Edge) worked great, and if I lose them out knocking around who cares. To that end I'm getting us each a pair in the Safety/Copper tint/Polarized/Rubber accented frames....They'll do fine and don't hurt so bad considering all else I'm buying.

B.E.F.
dean_mt likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Ive been wearing Habervisions for the last 10 years. Their photochromatic technology is as good as any glass out there (lens adjusts tint in different lighting)
I'll wear mine on the water well after the sun goes down. Really amazing glasses and the pricing is extremely fair! Great warranty service too!

Polarized Fishing Sunglasses | HaberVision
dean_mt likes this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

I've been buying Action Optics now Smith for years. I think you should go check out the newer shades with lots of lens options. I like the photochromic copper lens for around fishing I bought the Tennent frame. Don't forget to buy some Croakies. I like glass they are so clear and I never get headaches from wearing them.
dean_mt and jslo like this.

Last edited by smilingduck; 06-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

joshw is on a distinguished road

Costa, Maui jim, smith optics are all quality glasses. I bought a pair of 580P Costa sunglasses from steep and cheap for 70$ in silver/copper lense color. It's worth watching that site as well as some others for closeouts. My local BPS still has the same Costa del mar glasses for full retail, so it pays to watch for deals.
smilingduck likes this.