The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM

agate is on a distinguished road
Default Magnetic Net release

I am in the market for a new Magnetic Net release for a trout net. Currently I have net release which is about 4 years old and somehow lost it's holding power, my net comes off often.

There are lot of net release in market. Any suggestions on a good Net release?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Magnetic Net release

I see a lot of flimsy wal mart esq ones out there

This is what I use and it's bombproof. Spendy but rock solid. Honestly had no idea the brand until you asked and I googled it and found the image.

Mayfly: Net Releases
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 PM

agate is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Where did you buy this?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

For a more elegant, sturdy and completely functional magnetic net release, try this:

Keep and Release Net Holder

I love leather and the hemispheric configuration of the magnet makes reconnection easier.

Mike
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Heres a good one at a good price. Google will probably help you find a coupon for STP to make it even cheaper...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/loo...ring=s~loon%2F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by agate View Post
Thanks

Where did you buy this?
I think I bought it at Front Range Anglers in Boulder Co, but I could be dead wrong.

Besides it being bulletproof , the magnet could stop a small car. The carabener is nice you can hang other things on it if need be. And last but not least that little fabric flap they give you with it adds a layer of redundancy in protection.

If you attach you net correctly you physically cant lose it unless the magnet fails and the elastic cord some how tears
Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 AM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

I bought an Orvis magnet net holder a few weeks ago. It's fairly strong and won't come off unless you give it a firm pull, it snaps back into place smoothly.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM

sage one is on a distinguished road

I am really baffled as to why these net releases are so expensive. The rare earth magnets in this size can be bought at retail for less $1.06 each. ($0.85 each if you buy 10, and $0.74 each if you buy 50) You can even get the collar they fit into for less than a quarter apiece. If you like the hemispherical magnets they run $2.10 apiece and less in quantity. The toy carabiners are also cheap, even at retail. So, I guess it is only a matter of what the consumer will pay, but $25 to $30 for these things is nuts. BTW, my net came with the magnetic release, but I am sure it added $20, or more, to the total cost. If it is allowed, I will post a source for rare earth magnets if anyone wants to know.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage one View Post
I am really baffled as to why these net releases are so expensive. The rare earth magnets in this size can be bought at retail for less $1.06 each. ($0.85 each if you buy 10, and $0.74 each if you buy 50) You can even get the collar they fit into for less than a quarter apiece. If you like the hemispherical magnets they run $2.10 apiece and less in quantity. The toy carabiners are also cheap, even at retail. So, I guess it is only a matter of what the consumer will pay, but $25 to $30 for these things is nuts. BTW, my net came with the magnetic release, but I am sure it added $20, or more, to the total cost. If it is allowed, I will post a source for rare earth magnets if anyone wants to know.
Look on ebay and you will see many of the same items from China at a much better price.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

Orvis. Wait until you get the $25 off of $50.00 purchase coupon.