The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM

scoutm is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon Features - What's important?

It's time to replace my 20+ year old Buck's Bags bullet float tube. It has served me amazingly well but after all these years its time to retire it.

Since it's been so long since I've made a purchase like this I'm a bit surprised by all the changes...Back in the day the options were Bucks or Caddis...now they seem to have very little market share and the bigger players aren't one's I'm familiar with. Heck when I purchased the float tube, pontoons weren't even an option.

After careful consideration, I've decided to go with a pontoon boat. With the amazing durability my buck's tube showed I was eager to be a repeat customer but it concerns me that they don't seem to be the player they use to be...Has their quality dropped off? Has the service changed? Have they become a buyer beware type of manufacturer?

The boat will be used almost exclusively on still water small mountain lakes with maybe an occasional river run and if I get a wild hair fishing some estuaries in the sea of Cortez. (Usually fish yellowtail and bill fish when in MX)

Features I'm looking for:
  • Multi chambered pontoons
    lower profile to resist wind
    straight tracking boat
    most rust resistant frame
    manufacturer who stand behind their product
    solid ore locks
    small enough to still be able to use as kick boat
    urethane bladders

Storage and transporting aren't issues or factors in the decision.

The two I have at the top of my list are Bucks bags river ghost and the outcast pac9000.

Any feed back on these two options? Is stainless steel frame better than aluminum?

Any features I should be factoring in? Any that you've found sound good but turn out to not be important?

I appreciate both positive and negative feedback...at the cost of these things I want to make the right decision.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Pontoon Features - What's important?

No pontoon users?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

For low profile I have an old Fish Cat Cougar, they make one called Panther now, same boat. They have 4 10" tubes as opposed to 2 fat ones. It's been a good float trip raft for years, I have several Fish Cats and they are good with a 5 year warranty. You need a dealer close to access warranty claims though, I wouldn't want to try dealing with it through long distance.

Buy from a raft dealer because if you do have a bladder or valve go bad you'll want it replaced pronto.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

You might want to look at the boats from the Creek Company the are well made easy to set up & handle well,you set up a little higher which makes casting better ,you stay drier, the wind can be a factor but not much of a bother,I had there ODC 816 for years fished it in ponds & on rivers hard with no trouble.
Dennis
Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM

thanks for the feedback. I will keep the comments in mind.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

One of ours is a Creek Club. It has 2 huge pockets that work as well as a separate tackle bag, and hold standard Plano tackle box inserts.
We added swivels to the seats on all 3 of our boats. If you ever choose to add a little electric trolling motor, or just don't like to row, it makes life easier. Padded seats are also nice I have some serious back issues, but fishing from the pontoon boat is like being in a floating La-Z-Boy.
For me, one of the biggest advantages of a pontoon over a float tube is being able to sit above the water, not in it. In Idaho, the water is always cold where we fish. So, in 90 degree weather, quick dry nylon pants beat waders, hands down. Too hot for waders, too cold to have your nether regions in the water.
All of ours are 9 ' long, and handle well. There was a gent at Henry's lake last Saturday with a 6' toon. It was very windy, and after a couple of attempts at launching off the beach, he gave up.

Last edited by siege; 06-22-2014 at 08:05 PM.