The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 11:59 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Studs in old Simms Freestones......

Has anyone ever put studs in old Simms Freestones like these?

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for your help!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studs in old Simms Freestones......

In a word: Yes. As to where, just take a look (on line) as to the 'where' Simms places theirs and follow along.

Several postings on retro fitting studs (and what to use ... you don't have to drop big bucks to get the Simms things). Great boot by the way, have two sets; one for summer work one for winter (larger boot).

fae
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Studs in old Simms Freestones......

Thanks Fred....Due to the limited amount of use they'll get (at this point just out West as in Michigan my rubber soles are fine), I'll simply be using Aluminum hex head sheet metal screws as they should give me more bite, and wear won't be an issue.

Thanks! The "yes or no" what I really needed to confirm!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Studs in old Simms Freestones......

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Thanks Fred....Due to the limited amount of use they'll get (at this point just out West as in Michigan my rubber soles are fine), I'll simply be using Aluminum hex head sheet metal screws as they should give me more bite, and wear won't be an issue.

Thanks! The "yes or no" what I really needed to confirm!

B.E.F.
Roger that on the rubber lugged boots. Have knee/Wellingtons for shallow wading and the studs are in. Kind of 'clankie' in an allie bottom boat and a 'no-no' in wood.