The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Stike Indicator Help

I normally use the small 1/2" thingamabobber. but I did just recently get one of the New Zealand strike indicator kits. I have only used it once so far and when the wool got wet on a cast it wouldn't float after that. I'm going to mess around with them a little and try some floatant on the wool and see if that helps. the thinga I like but the problem I have is when it gets a little windy and I need to make a cast it gets all wadded up with the line so got to mess around with the NZ some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how much help I'm going to be here because I can't remember the darned name of it.

There is a bobber that works very much like the yarn indicator system everyone is talking about. It is a cork bobber that uses surgical tubing in much the same way, no kinks in leaders, can be moved up and down, etc. the bobber is grey on the bottom and brightly colored on the top. So you can tell if something is tugging at it because the colored portion of the bobber starts to tip and/or pull under. It also floats very well and with ought all the problems associated with yarn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
I normally use the small 1/2" thingamabobber. but I did just recently get one of the New Zealand strike indicator kits. I have only used it once so far and when the wool got wet on a cast it wouldn't float after that. I'm going to mess around with them a little and try some floatant on the wool and see if that helps. the thinga I like but the problem I have is when it gets a little windy and I need to make a cast it gets all wadded up with the line so got to mess around with the NZ some more

I tried the wool once and had your same frustrations

Go to hobby lobby and get the poly yarn, makes all the difference in the world. I cut 3 or 4 1&1/2" pieces of the yarn and threw it in the Baggie with the kit. If I remember right the poly yarn is 5 strand poly. Using 4 strands it floats great and never slips down the leader. I've never needed all 5 strands but imagine it will be that much more buoyant.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

Go to hobby lobby and get the poly yarn, makes all the difference in the world. I cut 3 or 4 1&1/2" pieces of the yarn and threw it in the Baggie with the kit. If I remember right the poly yarn is 5 strand poly. Using 4 strands it floats great and never slips down the leader. I've never needed all 5 strands but imagine it will be that much more buoyant.

I've been curious about the yarn indicators...I can see it working in perfectly calm water...but seems like any turbulence on the water would saturate and drown it, no?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
I've been curious about the yarn indicators...I can see it working in perfectly calm water...but seems like any turbulence on the water would saturate and drown it, no?
It certainly can drown it for sure. I am no nymph master or anything but even when the yarn is submerged a bit I can still see it and detect strikes due to change in motion.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

If you are already comfortable nymph fishing without a bobber then by all means, please do not start using one now!

Seriously, I spent a lot of quality time learning how to fish with indicators, until I was decent at it. Then I realized, or changed my mind, that I do not like it. Now I am teaching myself to nymph without them. If I'd only started without the supposed "aid" of an indicator!

Really, fishing riffles and pockets sans bobber is easier than in a pool. Try the drop shot method in which you add 6" of tippet to the bend of you fly, tie a knot at bottom and pinch enough weight on it to sink you fly fast. Run your fly on a tight line through the riffles or into pockets and you'll pick up the takes really quickly. You see and/or feel them because your nymph is drifting directly above your leader/line. Indicators in fast water can create a lot of drift problems and lots of missed hits because the bobber is so far from the fly. And in pocket water indicators are close to useless in my opinion.

But there are always situations when a big indicator is better, and then I'll use a big yarn indicator that stays up and floats a heavyish nymph. Like what used to be called a bighorn indicator, before the thingamaboobs.
johnstoeckel likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I don't know how much help I'm going to be here because I can't remember the darned name of it.

There is a bobber that works very much like the yarn indicator system everyone is talking about. It is a cork bobber that uses surgical tubing in much the same way, no kinks in leaders, can be moved up and down, etc. the bobber is grey on the bottom and brightly colored on the top. So you can tell if something is tugging at it because the colored portion of the bobber starts to tip and/or pull under. It also floats very well and with ought all the problems associated with yarn.

Floatmaster, what I use.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

I have some yellow poly yarn I just haven't ever tried it but next time I go out I'm going to try it and see how I like it. I really like the concept of the New Zealand indicator system but just have to find the right stuff to use with it that won't get soaked and sink

Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Floatmaster, what I use.
Yep, that sounds right! Before you try the yarn indicator, I would try the Floatmaster indicator. Like I said above, it works just like the yarn system without the problems with yarn.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have used them all stick-on, football,yarn and thingamabobbers, and of course no indicator at all use what works for you the best.