The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default Re: Stike Indicator Help

DrLogik - Casual Research on Fly Floatants/Dressings and their History

I always bless my yarn with white gas mixture it floats it for days. When it starts to sink I just dress my yarn again. I like to use the yellow poly yarn cause it's highly visible even under water. You guys can thank me later.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
DrLogik - Casual Research on Fly Floatants/Dressings and their History

I always bless my yarn with white gas mixture it floats it for days. When it starts to sink I just dress my yarn again. I like to use the yellow poly yarn cause it's highly visible even under water. You guys can thank me later.

I'm gonna have to try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems that yarn is the most popular. I'm surprised no one seems to like the foam type that are slit and have a peg. On the yarn, It seems you could just fold over a clump and use fly tying thread and attach that and add floatant.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems that yarn is the most popular. I'm surprised no one seems to like the foam type that are slit and have a peg. On the yarn, It seems you could just fold over a clump and use fly tying thread and attach that and add floatant.
You could or use orthodontic rubber bands as a way to cinch it in. One of my fishing buddies ties a slip knot in his leader with the end toward the floating line as the part to pull to release the knot. He creates the slip knot, inserts yarn and snugs it up.

I tried both methods, I sucked at twisting the ortho rubber bands correctly and I always screwed up the slip knot so I couldn't undo it.

If you want since I am a brace face, PM me your address and I can mail you some ortho rubber bands to try out. The NZ strike indicator accomplishes the same thing, just simpler for a fat fingered guy like myself who fishes in the freezing cold

Pat Dorsey rubber band method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbKjRx8YrM

Open Loop Indicator Knot for Fly Fishing
Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Well, here's what I did. I use loop to loop connections for fly line and leaders so I can change leaders fast and easy. I have some white floating poly yarn for wings for fly tying so I took what looks to be about the amount seen on most indicators and tied that on to a 7 1/2' 5x leader. I usually add some 6x tippet so the 5x has worked out okay in the past. I used white fly tying thread, did a slip knot, wrapped around the middle of the varn, then did a "post" up the yarn- like on a parachute fly, and some half hitch knots and dab of head cement. Seems okay. I trimmed the yarn a bit when done. At least I can test it out and see how it works. If it is trouble to cast in wind I might then try a very small cork ball.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, here's what I did. I use loop to loop connections for fly line and leaders so I can change leaders fast and easy. I have some white floating poly yarn for wings for fly tying so I took what looks to be about the amount seen on most indicators and tied that on to a 7 1/2' 5x leader. I usually add some 6x tippet so the 5x has worked out okay in the past. I used white fly tying thread, did a slip knot, wrapped around the middle of the varn, then did a "post" up the yarn- like on a parachute fly, and some half hitch knots and dab of head cement. Seems okay. I trimmed the yarn a bit when done. At least I can test it out and see how it works. If it is trouble to cast in wind I might then try a very small cork ball.
Very creative solution,

I don't find personally the yarn casts and better or worse than a thingamabobber type or foot ball type. What I find is less wind knots and tangles on bad casts with the yarn, it is more forgiving for me.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM

agate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have used the foam type , my experience is that they come off the line, may be the way I cast.

I stop using them while ago.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
If you are already comfortable nymph fishing without a bobber then by all means, please do not start using one now!

Seriously, I spent a lot of quality time learning how to fish with indicators, until I was decent at it. Then I realized, or changed my mind, that I do not like it. Now I am teaching myself to nymph without them. If I'd only started without the supposed "aid" of an indicator!

Really, fishing riffles and pockets sans bobber is easier than in a pool. Try the drop shot method in which you add 6" of tippet to the bend of you fly, tie a knot at bottom and pinch enough weight on it to sink you fly fast. Run your fly on a tight line through the riffles or into pockets and you'll pick up the takes really quickly. You see and/or feel them because your nymph is drifting directly above your leader/line. Indicators in fast water can create a lot of drift problems and lots of missed hits because the bobber is so far from the fly. And in pocket water indicators are close to useless in my opinion.

But there are always situations when a big indicator is better, and then I'll use a big yarn indicator that stays up and floats a heavyish nymph. Like what used to be called a bighorn indicator, before the thingamaboobs.
I've tried them all, but I'm pretty much with Dean on this and prefer not to use a "suspension" type indicator. As long as my casts are short (less than 30'), tightline nymphing without a indicator works better for me in terms of getting a good deep drift and detecting strikes. This is especially true in riffles and other broken water.

In situations where I need to make a longer cast, I use a Thingamabobber. It seems to me that all floating strike indicators negatively effect casting and cause difficulties with the drift and strike detection, but Thingamabobbers are the easiest to use.

I think yarn is more sensitive than Thingamabobbers, cork or foam, but it's also more of a hassle to keep floating and, in my experience, it tangled more.

If you want to try yarn indicators, there are DIY instructions on the web such as Strike Indicator Scientology - Global FlyFisher. I've also seen some that skip the O-ring and just use thread wraps to form the indicator and loop.