The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Stike Indicator Help

I've usually just watched the line but so far I've used nymphs in pools. Now I'm thinking riffles and pockets so strike indicators are on the list. I bought a 1 1/4" Thingamabob that I hate casting. I've used a Humpy or elk Hair caddis to which I've added the nymph but that's about it. Off hand I think what I want is something I can add to a leader that already has a nymph tied on and then be able to move the indicator a little if it needs to be adjusted. I could go out and buy "one of every type" but I thought I would ask for some help here. I think what I want is an indicator for riffle type water where seeing the line is difficult and a type I can put on/take off/or adjust location. But I might be wrong. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stike Indicator Help

In the rare instances when I use a strike indicator, I use this one:

New Zealand Strike Indicator

The Thingamabobbers are a crime against nature in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Plecain, the strike indicator system is great.

It is the only (attach on) strike indicator that I push. I have access to all indicators on the market, but if I am attaching an indicator, 90% of the time I use the strike indicator system. Why.... It works.

Only condition it is not great for is very heavy flies and very big / rough / white water.

You can pick it up at many shop locations. If you buy gear on-line, you can use the NAFFF coupon code, it will save you a little. Link is below.

Accessories : 09. Strike Indicator System

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
In the rare instances when I use a strike indicator, I use this one:

New Zealand Strike Indicator

The Thingamabobbers are a crime against nature in my opinion.
Bingo , the NZ indicator is the best.

Spend an extra $3.50 at hobby lobby and buy a spool of craft cord (yarn) made of poly. Use 3 or more strands and cut / trim to length. The poly yarn holds the system in place on your leader better than the wool they provide in my opinion.

The yarn lands soft, floats well, suspends decent size nymphs and floats very vertically so strikes are easy to detect
winstonwt and smilingduck like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM

scoutm is on a distinguished road

Depending on situation I use Yarn or a small balloon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2Cc2cNQUU

The only think I do different from this video is tie the balloon off so the inflated portion is much smaller than what he showed.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I like yarn, mostly white. I think it's more sensitive while it's drifting than hard indicators or balloons and it seems to cast easier for me. The two down sides I've found are that it gets soaked and I have to dress it like a dry fly, and there's a limit to the heavy junk you can reasonable suspend from one (I believe a large Thingamabobber can remain afloat with a small automobile hanging below it).

I tie a loop like in the video above and use either straight up yarn or the pre-tied yarn indicators that have a loop whipped into them. I can tie on, remove, or move an indicator in a few seconds with no extra tools.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently tried Bentley's Balls and am pretty happy with those. I like them in white, they blend right in with the bubble line.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

There are many types of Indicators on The Market which all will work & like many others I've also used The 3/4 & 1 inch Thingamabobas which you really have to Launch.
I've made them from Synthetic Duster material as well as Egg Yarn,Pinch on ones from Double Sided tape attached to Fluoro Plastic however probably The best is a piece of Greasy Wool from a Fence which most of The Guys I know who regularly Fish New Zealand use.
Brian
Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

When I'm not a line watcher, I use either floatmaster indicators, a dry fly or a pinch on palsa. Depends on my situation on what I use.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Steelheading...size 10 - 6 weighted nymphs...a wide range of waters and water conditions....I always use football indicators. Easy to adjust (remove the toothpick, slide the indicator, re-insert the toothpick).

On lakes....is where a lighter system like furled leaders, yarn...or even foam flies (i.e. hopper-dropper)....but moving water...and heavier flies....something more is needed.

And I absolutely agree....thingamabobs...are a blight on humanity....HAH.

King Joe Outa Here!