The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Something Added At The Cabin, Gear Sorta;

What did I do this weekend besides cut an acre of bush I built a dock! We have parked with the bow on shore for all these years and thought about a dock but a few things changed me from thought to action. There was one heck of a wind storm the past two summers while I was out there. Hewitt lake is about 2 miles long and lies on a north south axis. The prevailing winds are from the south and north west and can whip the lake into 3 - 4 foot waves. Those waves will batter and swamp a boat against the shore line and the 2012 blow nearly sank the boat. Last year I had to take it far off shore and anchor it in order to avoid a repeat of 2012. Now it'll just bob along with the lake

Click the image to open in full size.

It looks small but it's 20' long X 8 feet wide. Maybe I'll add on next year but for now I just need to get it secured really well and yeah, some paint on the deck would be a good thing too........

The white thing in front of the console is a 30 gallon fuel tank for the long hauls. It takes about 15 gallons to get out there traveling solo but when I have to carry one or 2 other people I need a bigger tank or I risk running out of gas at a bad time. If you are skimming over a shallow area when the boat dies it gets bad from there on.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Something Added At The Cabin, Gear Sorta;

Hi Ard.
Flash setup you made looks really good.
Brian
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A little small for me to bow the anchor with my yacht
Great job again Ard
imxer likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

I still have to fine tune the anchoring system but it's floating. The tough part was that I hauled that entire load of materials out there with the boat in the pictures.

It was a heavy load and the water was low at the time so it was a white knuckle trip all the way. If you get stuck with a load of stuff that will float it doesn't get much worse than that...........

The view over the bow was not so great, there was wood and hardware under the float logs also.

I should have taken a picture of the entire load, there was more than what those few hurried shots reveal, I'll never carry a load like that again. Why I didn't get that stuff all out there when I could have used the freight sled and snowmachine is a mystery but it's done now.........

Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard,

That's a great looking addition and I'm sure a welcome and functional one to your little slice of heaven. Congratulations on getting it done. Obviously you like it, but what does Boss think of it?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

He's good with the idea of easy exit & entry to the boat
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ard,

Does Hewitt freeze over in the winter? Good looking dock, hate to see the ice destroy it. Or do you plan to pull it ashore when the ice moves in?

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 07-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Looks great Ard, nice work!!!

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Nice dock.

Hind sight always seems a bit clearer in those situations doesn't it. You got it done, and no harm to you or any equipment. That's good.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Great work Ard How did you manage to fit that in around the buisness
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach