The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canoe vs Kayak vs Pontoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
OH and I recently bought a 14' at least three person inflatable, self bailing, standable, drifter that not only fits completely including all three seats in the back of my Grand Vitara, but weighs all together 89 lbs. With floor and boat being about 50 lb and 40 lbs so I can move it by myself.
Not right now you can't, Ol' One Arm!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM

billfrech is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for all the input it has been very helpful
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road

I have a kayak too and have asked myself the same questions. Fishing out of a kayak is less than desirable.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post

I recently bought the Fuzion. It can be a SUP, canoe, Kayak or pontoon. One of a kind.
Joni,

I'm on the fence regarding the Fuzion and would like to hear more about your experiences with it. I was previously set on buying a kayak, but the low weight of the NFO pontoons is definitely appealing. I especially like the option to stand up and fly fish. I stand in a kayak, which can be tricky at times, especially when setting the hook.

My main hesitation is how wet it might be to fish seated on the Fuzion. Do you also have the cargo box to allow you to sit twelve inches off the deck? If I buy the Fuzion, I may go that route to make for a drier ride.

I believe you've also fished from the Renegade and you now also have a NFO drifter and the Fuzion. There are weight differences and I assume you stay drier in the drifter, what was the compelling reason to buy the Fuzion? I'll mostly use whatever I buy on lakes and ponds, so your feedback will help me decide if Fuzion is the best choice.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do wear full waders or at least waist highs. You do get wet. However I also take a 4" floatation pillow and sit on it so I am not sitting in water. I actually use a plastic box or even an Ice cooler to sit on steering the motor while sitting in a chair. Also very easy to stand from this chair position. Sorry no pictures. Hubby did movies on his phone and no idea how to get still shots off those.
The rowing looks awkward, but it really isn't. Small circles by the knees and actually less effort.
I bought this boat for the convenience and sitting standing feature. I planned on bow fishing for Carp this year but had an accident that has put my left arm out of commission to pull a bow.
I will be getting more action pictures soon however.

I have owned several Scaddens, including the Renegade. If I could only have one boat, I think that would be it.
I now have use of a Predator, an Assault and and Assault XX, plus my X5 and most recent the Drifter for rivers and friends.
I wear just hip waders on all boats but the Fuzion. But on hot days like this, I will wear just box shorts on the Fuzion provided no warm water parasites are present.
Hardyreels and dakotakid like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Canoe = old school.
Me = old.
Therefore, me = canoe.

Seriously, I have used float tubes and kayaks, but much prefer fishing from my canoe on New England ponds. Mine is a 14-foot Mad River that weighs only 53 lbs, so it is easy to handle alone and carries everything I need.
Hardyreels and rfb700 like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM

rfb700 is on a distinguished road

I've always liked fishing from a canoe. It's easy to portage for lake to lake and has lots of room to move about in. I'm getting a little older so I bought a Swift Keewaydin 15 foot in carbon fusion layout. Weighs all of 27 pounds. I can swing it around with one hand almost. Nice boat.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Seems like a pattern here. Back east, seems like a canoe is the big thing, while out west, kickboats, float tubes rule the water, with kayaks kind of scattered all around and SUP's coming into their own.
Hardyreels and Rip Tide like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Seems like a pattern here. Back east, seems like a canoe is the big thing, while out west, kickboats, float tubes rule the water, with kayaks kind of scattered all around and SUP's coming into their own.
That's very true.
Not that I frequent places where "everyone else" fishes, but I have never, ever even seen someone fishing from a pontoon and you rarely see a float tube either.
Here in the northeast, fly fishermen fish from canoes. It's not just tradition but the logical form of transportation on lakes and rivers.
mojo and Hardyreels like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I went through a few float tubes then a canoe but once I tried a pontoon I never looked back and have no regrets.
With a kayak or canoe, aside from the ever-present knowledge that they can easily tip, you always end up swapping your fly rod for an oar or paddle as the wind and current has its way with you. With my 'toon, a few strokes with the fins I usually wear I can hold position against wind and current. If I want to maintain a certain distance and position relative to a shoreline or the wind direction easy finning allows that.
Also, the rivers I float have shallow sections that force my kayaking and canoeing friends in and out of their boats to get over these shallow spots. With a 'toon you just stand up or even 'ooch' over obstructions. If a fishy spot pops up I just work my way to shallow water like you would in a drift boat to stop but just stand straight up as the 'toon is tethered to me because of a line I have tied from bow to bow.
I can carry everything I need for a couple nights camping in and on my pontoon boat along with all the fishing gear I could want.
I'm not sure how the newer frameless pontoons handle this but my framed pontoon has a slide out casting platform with a leaning bar that is out of the way until needed. Being essentially a catamaran, a 'toon is a very stable platform to begin with but the casting deck and leaning bar just make it more so.
I lose in racing the others unless I fire up the electric trolling motor.

No matter which floatable you end up getting you can rest assured that a whole lot more water will be accessible to you.

Good hunting!
mojo, Joni and Hardyreels like this.