The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM

billfrech is on a distinguished road
Default Canoe vs Kayak vs Pontoon

I am thinking about acquiring a watercraft for fishing local lakes and maybe a river.

Most of the time I will be out by myself, so I would like something I can port and deal with alone.

I have looked online at Wenonah Fisherman Canoe, several kayaks most recently the Native and numerous pontoon boats (Creek, PAC, etc.).

I am baffled.

Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:17 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canoe vs Kayak vs Pontoon

For comfort, it's hard to beat a 9' pontoon boat. It's easy to change positions since you are sitting in a real chair. Mine has a padded swivel seat.
To me, sitting up above the water makes casting easier. I prefer having oar locks and an electric motor. I would not like to only have a paddle for propulsion.
It takes about 2 minutes to inflate my pontoon. When deflated, it fits in the trunk of a car. Storage is easy, set up is fast. Truly a one man job. It weighs less than a canoe.
We have 3 pontoon boats and they seem to be easier to wrangle than a watercraft that requires a dedicated rack or trailer. Just my opinion, but I'm very happy with mine.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 AM

billfrech is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. If you don't mind my asking what maker and model Pontoon boat do you have?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I've done a LOT of fly fishing from canoes and kayaks...and I own a couple of kayaks. You can't beat the kayak for stability on rapids and stuff, but I really don't like fly fishing from one.

Once I buy a place with more yard space, I'll get a nice canoe and probably never use the kayaks again. I love fishing out of a canoe! And it holds more good stuff in the middle.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a canoe, a kayak, and a couple of float tubes. They're all ideal in their own special situations

The kayak is probably the least convenient to fish out of, but it's quick, fun to paddle (you're not fishing the whole time ) and stable in "high seas"
I use it mostly in salt water.

The canoe is great to fish out of. You can even stand to cast and pole yourself along.
You can take a buddy, extra rods, some adult beverages...
But they're not fun in the wind.

I've had a float tube, like forever and hardly ever used it, but more recently it's been the "boat" of choice.
I've been fishing a lot of ponds that need to be hiked into and a tube is the only way to go.
Wicked comfortable too.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

I'm saving up for one of these for light river and stillwater use....

Inflatable fishing pontoon boats and float tubes for anglers | Outcast

The new frameless pontoons seem to be the way to go. Everyone I have talked to has said they love their pontoon but hate messing with the frame.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

It all depends on which craft you enjoy using.Im a canoe guy and have an Oldtown Pack solo canoe.Its 12ft and 33lbs and easy to throw in my pu truck.Its nothing to launch in any pond or lake and canoes are made for rivers.Yeah wind can become an issue but any small craft will be affected by it.I just love flyfishing from it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfrech View Post
I am thinking about acquiring a watercraft for fishing local lakes and maybe a river.
Most of the time I will be out by myself, so I would like something I can port and deal with alone.
I have looked online at Wenonah Fisherman Canoe, several kayaks most recently the Native and numerous pontoon boats (Creek, PAC, etc.).
I am baffled.
Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Bill, That Fisherman canoe is pretty wide and could be a challenge to track as a solo canoe on flat lake water with a breeze. The widest I'd go is 35" with the Heron, Aurora, or Solo Plus if you want tandem capability. If you want solo only then an Old Town Pack Canoe is a good choice. vr

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Let me add that I think we need a watercraft forum.
Joni, Hardyreels and bocast like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
I'm saving up for one of these for light river and stillwater use....

Inflatable fishing pontoon boats and float tubes for anglers | Outcast

The new frameless pontoons seem to be the way to go. Everyone I have talked to has said they love their pontoon but hate messing with the frame.
Keep saving and look at NFO Renegade before you buy.
Honestly, I find that a joke. Outcast Stealth Pro getting an award from the IFTD- Best Personal Watercraft and Fly Fusion Magazine Editors Choice. I guess it's who you rub elbows with in this biz to get an award.
NFO/North Fork Outdoors/ Dave Scadden pretty much invented the frameless boat 6 or 7 years ago, with the Renegade as the first model -and which the Stealth Pro is pretty much a pi$$ poor copy of, is introduced this year. Same price as the Renegade, BUT the Outcast has bladders, the Renegade is bladderless, One valve for the body on the Outcast, 2 on the Scadden. You get 1 gear bags with the Outcast, 2 with the Renegade. 35 pounds-Outcast, 24 pounds-Renegade. NFO lifetime warranty and made in the U.S.while the Stealth Pro (China) is 5 years. Sure Outcast is a big name, but they dropped the ball on this one, and so did Fly Fusion Magazine and the IFTD.
What is interesting, some fly shop -Gorge Fly Shop, has a video on You Tube called Stealth Pro vs. Brand X Shootout. Guess what Brand X is... Anyway, it's the guy in the Renegade filming the guy in the Outcast going down the river where he gets out and uses a 2 hander to catch some fish. Not much of a shootout, or a comparison.
Want the best for the same price, get the Renegade. Much better boat for the price.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to add to this comparison. The Stealth a single bladder......
Plus it goes back way before the Renegade. There was the Navigator II by NFO that was a proto type for a 9' frameless. This was about 8 years ago or more. Back in 2000, there was an inflatable canoe/kayak by Scadden called the Escalade. Copied later on and labeled the Commander.
Outcast is great at copying a winning product, but they had Dave to get them going.

There are so many choices of inflatables. But, in all honesty, it is a catch up game. Take a close look at the foot bar mount on the Outcast then at the NFO.

I recently bought the Fuzion. It can be a SUP, canoe, Kayak or pontoon. One of a kind.

Now lets talk bladder to bladderless. Bladders have zippers, meaning sand or dirt can get inside. Zippers can cut. Bladders can move.
Bladderless, several layers of PVC, NYLON, KEVLAR and other materials. IF a hole should appear, just use Aquaseal and a toothpick. No removing a bladder and looking for the leak then trying to line it back up.

Lastly, to me, security comes from several inflatable portions on one boat. One bladder is really kinda crazy.

OH and I recently bought a 14' at least three person inflatable, self bailing, standable, drifter that not only fits completely including all three seats in the back of my Grand Vitara, but weighs all together 89 lbs. With floor and boat being about 50 lb and 40 lbs so I can move it by myself.
Hardyreels likes this.