The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM

agate is on a distinguished road
Default Sunglasses Amber or Blue

I fish in streams and rivers , wondering what color sunglasses will be a good choice. Of course polarized sunglasses. I talked to Fly shops and I did not get a same opinion, some recommended Amber others Blue. What is your experience?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sunglasses Amber or Blue

I've always heard blue for ocean/lakes, amber for streams and creeks

I use amber for what it's worth

Ryan
fredaevans, wjl and ejsell like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i've used both, currently blue, but prefer amber.

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Amber!
I became a big fan when I bought my first pair of glacier glasses for high altitude.
Now on my third pair, all have an amber tint, no choices given in these. Great clarity and definition.
My normal sunglasses are amber now too, same reason.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

It really depends on when and where you're fishing. In bright light with high reflection I like to use blue, especially with crystal clear water.

In lower light and mountain streams, etc. especially if the water is murky the amber lenses remove glare while still maintaining a bright image. Also the amber seems to enhance the ability to detect movement.

From a pure personal standpoint I like looking through blue lenses rather than amber. Driving around town I'll always have blue lenses in. The amber strains my eyes a bit, but it makes picking out an indicator running through riffles a lot easier.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road

Don't really know if this is really helpfull or not as I normally just wear my prescription glasses while fishing that tiny into more smoke color. But I know my snowmobile goggles! On bright sunny days it really didn't matter too much although I found I favor rose colored in the sun. The ambers seemed to strain my eyes like hokiehunter said. When it came to overcast days, low light conditions, or even riding in a pure whiteout blues are the only choice in my opinion. You can pick out details in terrain in a whiteout no problem with blues, not so much with any of the other colors.

Anyways, like I said, complete different scenario but blues or roses depending on conditions would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM

agate is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone . Lot of good information.

Looks like I will be getting Amber Sunglasses, thinking about Costas
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

My first pair of hi-dollah shades were Costas, in Vermillion. I've used a few other colors since, and always come back to Rose or vermillion (same thing?). I just seem to see into our Rocky mtn. streams better.

My 2c,
CAB
Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 PM

tartan34 is on a distinguished road

If you are looking at Costas, I'd recommend the Green Mirror for fishing streams and rivers. Great glass, with terrific visibility under the water.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:31 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I've got a pair that Costa calls "Cocos" in a "Palladium Copper" color which I use for everything but night fishing.

I've tried blue costas offshore, but can see birds better with the ones I've got and see fine through the water too.

But I have mild cataracts (from not protecting against UV according to the optometrist), so I need more light entering my eyes than someone without them. A typical Catch 22 that I find myself encountering frequently in many different matters.

However, I've liked brown (or some fancy other name for it) all my life, instead of blue or grey, and the cataract thing is something new.

The Cocos I have are polycarbonate (580P's) with a Monel frame and are very light and comfortable and fit my hatchet face solidly. They are the most comfortable frames I've ever tried.

The "hydrophobic" coating also sheds water very well.