The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who still uses a vest?

I used a small shotgun shell pouch a few years ago, and it was alright. I was always digging down to the bottom, and went back to a vest. I saw a small hip bag, and thought that would work. It drove me crazy while hiking on the first trip, and that was gone pronto. I tried a larger pouch, but it bothered me while casting. These experiments were very brief, and I use a $15 vest from Wally World without any problems. License displayed on front, net attached to back (don't use one much, however), a quart of water in the rear pouch, and plenty of room for all the flies and tippet I'll use during a day.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I need to switch to my mesh vest with the summer heat.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a matter of personal preference. Some people like vests, some waist packs, some chest packs, some sling packs and some shoulder packs. We are fortunate to have some many high quality options available to us!

For me, a waist pack (specifically a Fishpond Waterdance) works best.

I've found that carrying the weight on my hips, rather than on my upper back / shoulders (as with a vest or most other packs), is much easier on my back over a long day of fishing.

I also like being able to slide the pack behind me while fishing for maximum, tangle free movement and vision in the front.

The Waterdance carries everything I need / want for a day's fishing. I can fit 4 fly boxes, water bottle, sandwich and apple, and the usual assortment of accessories.

I think with any system, you need to give it some time to get used to it and be willing to make some custom modifications to suit your needs. I didn't like the little mesh tippet pockets on the Waterdance, so I cut them off and added a piece of bungee cord and a couple of cord locks secured to the pack to hold tippet spools. I also added a short tube (actually a conduit coupler) to the pack belt as a net holster. And, a made a short paracord "lanyard" that's secured horizontally to the pack / belt for easy access to nippers, split shot, fly float, etc.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I just use my shirt pockets and the pocket in my chest waders. I guess Steelhead fishing is a heck of a lot less complicated. Two spools of leader (weight time of year dependent), Forceps clamped to my shirt with a 'nipper' and my police whistle hanging below (gets tucked into the waders), one box of flies (really now, how many times are you really going to change out?), etc.

Will use this or that as needed but the 'emergency' is the whistle! If you don't have one on you, you're looking for a really bad time if the 'shxt hits the fan.'

Just trust me on that one.

Fred
Now I need to change my response. Vest for trout. Steelhead is just the pockets in my waders or my raincoat. Box of flies, extra leader, spool of tippet, and some pliers. I have my nippers around my neck.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:41 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Then...

Click the image to open in full size.

Frying Pan River, CO...1975

Now...

East Walker River, CA...

In between, I have tried every form of gear holding equipment known to man..I always come back to a vest...

PT/TB
Looking good, still got the bandana thing going. . I'm going to use my new Simms pack as a carry everything kit in my drift boat or truck, and wear my mesh vest while on the river. I go pretty light with my vest, heat isn't an issue here in Montana, and I tailor the vest for each day's fishing. I have so many fly boxes even the pack isn't big enough to hold everything.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

I've got my gear separated into separate boxes, so I can tailor my choices for a trip with casting gear or a trip with fly gear.

For casting gear my carrier of choice for years was a three compartment belly pack my wife bought me as a present years ago. I'm not sure of the brand, and I've never seen another like it. The middle compartment is about double the depth and 1.5x the width of any normal belly/fanny pack I've seen, and has two Velcro loops on top to hold a rod.

Now that I've pared things down to fish categories (cold water vs. warm water) I could probably get away with a vest at any time. The choice of using a vest means you have to limit your options when on the water, for me at least. I think if you force yourself to do just that, you'll be more likely to remember what you learn each time you're on the water.

Going for LMB with casting gear? Make room for plastic worms and a spinnerbait or two. Fly rod for trout in a stillwater? I'd use the vest and mostly dries and midge patterns, from what I've learned so far (thinking specifically of the Sparks Marina lake).

And so on...
Old 08-13-2014, 04:22 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangin chad View Post
I've got my gear separated into separate boxes, so I can tailor my choices for a trip with casting gear or a trip with fly gear.

For casting gear my carrier of choice for years was a three compartment belly pack my wife bought me as a present years ago. I'm not sure of the brand, and I've never seen another like it. The middle compartment is about double the depth and 1.5x the width of any normal belly/fanny pack I've seen, and has two Velcro loops on top to hold a rod.

Now that I've pared things down to fish categories (cold water vs. warm water) I could probably get away with a vest at any time. The choice of using a vest means you have to limit your options when on the water, for me at least. I think if you force yourself to do just that, you'll be more likely to remember what you learn each time you're on the water.

Going for LMB with casting gear? Make room for plastic worms and a spinnerbait or two. Fly rod for trout in a stillwater? I'd use the vest and mostly dries and midge patterns, from what I've learned so far (thinking specifically of the Sparks Marina lake).

And so on...
Now having experimented halfway through the summer I have settled on using the Simms pack to hold the bulk of my flies and gear, but leave it in the truck or boat while I wear my mesh vest. I tailor the vest to that day's fishing with smaller fly boxes and just the gear I need with me at the time. That keeps the vest light, yet I have all my essentials on my body without any weighty encumbrances.

edit:
woops, I see I just repeated myself...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

My favorite is a Simms Guide Vest. I also have a Camelbak backpack in black & olive to keep it less visible. Sometimes I need the extra capacity. If I can go light, I use an Orvis Sling Pack. Sometimes I mix & match. I think they all have their uses.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've been uing a vest for 25 plus years.
not gonna change now

ARFE
Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

30 year old Patagonia vest.

If it not broken, don't fix it. I'm too old for the yuppie look

hairwing530 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy