The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 02:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: felt sole controversy

Bringing in felt bottom boots into Oregon is 'no big deal.' However if you bring in a boat IT IS A VERY BIG DEAL. You are required to have same inspected for 'invasive species' (small charge at the OSP sites) or you face one hell of a fine. Like big time fine.

When the program first started several years back I was one of the 'Vollies' who helped with these things. It was AMAZING the amount of 'say what's' we found coming out of California. One boat was the treasure trove, fellow lived in Redding (or close to that) and the boat had sat in 100 degree heat for well over a week.

Damned things were all over his boat trailer and very alive and well.

End game is you come into Oregon with a boat in tow, get the inspection. 98% of the time you'll end up with a 'Have a nice time and catch some fish.' The other 2% can get interesting?

fae
Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Love the logic NOT

QUOTE=fly_guy12955;687483]I don't see felt carrying anything between waters that birds and animals don't already carry in their feathers and fur,,,,so what's the point in banning felt ?[/QUOTE]
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
Love the logic NOT

Didymo study disputes assumptions on spread and control of 'rock snot' algae - Environmental Monitor

Try to keep up current events

Quote:
It kills fish, fouls up waterways and its appearance has earned it the name “rock snot.” Seven U.S. states, Chile and New Zealand have passed legislation to prevent this notorious algae’s spread. However, a recent study suggests that Didymosphenia geminata is an algae poorly understood both in origin and function.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:16 PM

Seems a simple enough solution to take fishermen out of the picture
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I don't use felt soles, and not so much talking about trout streams, but boats are a much, much bigger issue IMO. I try to be very careful, but there are about 10,000 places my boat or trailer can hide something bad and transfer it to new water.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Well , Tail of the Pool, for sure I am not an expert,,just muzing out loud. Excuse me please.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Sorry if taken as being difficult, but as fishermen it is hard for us to rally for positive change if we do nothing to help out that is all.

No harm no foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Well , Tail of the Pool, for sure I am not an expert,,just muzing out loud. Excuse me please.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:27 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I did not mean to come across that we should do nothing,,not at all..so sorry about that. I for one, would fall in line with any good conservation efforts. Our waters are indeed precious to everyone, and I'm all for protecting them.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

The minimalist in me almost always wins the debates, so I use rubber for the simplicity of not having to ever think about it.

That aside, the latest rubber soles being designed and made now are far, far better than those of even the recent past. I can't believe how well the soles of my wet wading Simms Riprap shoes grip!
fly_guy12955 and glacierjohn like this.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

clay tonian is on a distinguished road

After trying rubber soles on the Bitteroot when guide Eddie Olwell raved about them, I was hooked. They worked great there. They work fine in other places...not so great in others. So I wear them and hope that I'm doing something to prevent spread of rock snot. They're certainly better than felt for walking/hiking over dry rock.

I do hate sending them back to Simms for resoleing every year because that soft rubber wears down so fast. I guess I'm a "shuffler".