The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: felt sole controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post
After trying rubber soles on the Bitteroot when guide Eddie Olwell raved about them, I was hooked. They worked great there. They work fine in other places...not so great in others. So I wear them and hope that I'm doing something to prevent spread of rock snot. They're certainly better than felt for walking/hiking over dry rock.

I do hate sending them back to Simms for resoleing every year because that soft rubber wears down so fast. I guess I'm a "shuffler".
Over the winter I bought a pair of closeout 2013 Simms Guide boots with the rubber soles. I've always had felt and was nervous about the rubber soles but I like them so far.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM

clay tonian is on a distinguished road

John, you will love them but bear in mind that the soles wear out very quickly. Avoid hiking on pavement and don't shuffle, if possible. they'll last much longer. It cost's something like 60 bucks plus shipping to get them resoled by Simms.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
John, you will love them but bear in mind that the soles wear out very quickly. Avoid hiking on pavement and don't shuffle, if possible. they'll last much longer. It cost's something like 60 bucks plus shipping to get them resoled by Simms.
Clay can you just purchase the soles and have a local cobbler install them? I ask is this is (pretty much) the norm for replacing felts here in the Valley. The DIY is a total pain in the A$$.

fae
Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Fred, (actually, that's my name too. "Clay tonian" means Claytonian from Clayton, GA.) Yes you can have them re-soled by a Simms approved cobbler, but it is my understanding that you can't just buy the corresponding Vibram sole and have someone local do it for you. So there really is no cheap fix.

Someone that fishes hard, say like a wading guide or some lucky bastage that lives in Gardner, West Y'stone, etc. can reduce these streamtreads to slicks in 30-45 days...Mine are gone in a season of wading the southeast and 2 weeks out west. That's not alot of value for $150 plus. I have found that screw in studs can help reduce wear, but not everyone likes them and the soles will still wear out. Really sucks because there is no more comfortable boot than the US made Simms.

Last edited by clay tonian; 07-29-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM

shellback is on a distinguished road

bought the patagonia ultralight felts. i'd be G.D. if i'd buy a pair of shoes that wore out after 30 days.
will report back.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback View Post
bought the patagonia ultralight felts. i'd be G.D. if i'd buy a pair of shoes that wore out after 30 days.
will report back.
I hope they work for you. BTW, I called Simms and it now costs $80 plus shipping to get resoled. Sending two pairs in today.

How about this: hard rubber soles with screw in soft rubber studs? Somebody could get rich coming up with a better idea...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Joey Bagels will become famous soon enough

New pair of korkers soles cost $30-50 depending on features.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope they work for you. BTW, I called Simms and it now costs $80 plus shipping to get resoled. Sending two pairs in today.

How about this: hard rubber soles with screw in soft rubber studs? Somebody could get rich coming up with a better idea...

That's bloody OUTRAGEOUS! The 'rubber' must be a super soft material to ware out that fast. But on that note I use Korker Chromes which come with a 'snap on' rubber bottom. Truth be told I've never used that feature but the bottoms are very 'aggressive' with the raised rubber studs.

Would be interesting if Korker supplied one of these soft bottoms
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
as fishermen it is hard for us to rally for positive change if we do nothing to help out that is all.
What change are we rallying for when there is no conclusive evidence on the matter?

I bought some korkers last winter and used them with the rubber soles at a few places with mixed traction. Then I started fishing my favorite river when the flows got good last week, I nearly killed myself at least 25 times with the rubber soles. Went back another day with felt and never slipped once
Rip Tide likes this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Try studding or traction bars, remember the river is the fishes habitat if it is unsafe to wade fish from the bank
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach