The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM

shellback is on a distinguished road
Default felt sole controversy

being brand new to fly fishing, i am considering buying some wading boots. i have a pair of sims full chest waders with felt sole boots that worked really well for me last year. my question is: has opinion shifted negatively on felt sole boots to the point where i will wind up being required by law next year to buy rubber/studded boots?
i fish the west, mostly calif/idaho/montana.
thanks for your time and replys.
tom
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: felt sole controversy

Recent studies have shown that felt soles and other human interaction may not be the cause of increased presence of didymo in rivers. It seems more likely that climate change is responsible.
It's all far from conclusive, but I personally won't be giving up my felts anytime soon and I doubt that many more states will be banning felt soles in the near future.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 AM

i have some experience with infection control and it seems hard to believe felt soles would cause any more bug transfer than, say, boat hulls/trailers, people swimming etc.
unless maybe shoe manufacturers need money. i have seen this happen in other sports and it REALLY pissed me off. shoe manufacturers lobby- state legislatures pass laws- everybody makes money- except of course the end point user who gets screwed into having to buy a new pair of boots.
i'm not asking for permission to buy a pair of felt soled boots. just curious about prevelant opinion regarding them.
thanks for the reply.
tom
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tom,

Your question specifies just those three states, but Iíll add to it. I like to think that Iím in tune with what both CDF&W and NDOW are thinking and I see no indication of either CA or NV making a move towards mandating rubber soles in the next year.
Yet I wear rubber with cleats wherever possible and still have non-studded felts for our drift boat ( fiberglass decks and Iím not interested in putting in rubber floor mats. ). I started wearing rubber with cleats many years ago because I flew a lot and the rubber soled boots simply dried faster than the comparable felted sole boot. Still I pack a fresh plastic trash bag in my rolling duffle to harbor the boots on the trip home.

I look at it this way, since I travel with rubber soles, I really donít give much thought to which states mandate them now. For instance, Iíll be flying down to New Mexico in a few weeks and whether they have or have not changed over to rubber doesnít really matter, rubber is what Iíll be wearing. Itís like tying all your flies on debarbed or barbless hooks. If you do so, whether a location you travel to allows barbed hooks or is totally barbless is no longer a considerationÖÖyouíre already there.
I know thatís a pretty simplistic way of looking at things, but fly fishing is filled with enough minutia, I tend to cut out the regional bologna where I can.

Dave
Flywgn, Bigfly, fredaevans and 1 others like this.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 AM

thanks for the comeback. i'm all in favor of cutting out the baloney as well. the fact that california is not considering a ban is pretty telling. those people (cdfg) would just as soon legislate no human access to all fishing waters.
this decision is a tough one for me (between felt and rubber). not because i can't afford both, but its the principle. reminds me of: "were going to outlaw spoons due to the obesity epidemic and you have to buy these $200 utensils that will hinder your eating."
tom
Old 07-27-2014, 10:13 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: felt sole controversy

I have 2 pair of simms boots with the star cleats on them,I left behind felt soles about 6 years ago and have not looked back.Felt soles are the absolute worse things to wear on snow and muddy surfaces.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Can't see how common sense gets confused with contraversey,

Go with Vibram and save some rivers
winstonwt likes this.
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM

as mark twain said: "sense aint common"
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I don't see felt carrying anything between waters that birds and animals don't already carry in their feathers and fur,,,,so what's the point in banning felt ?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

To me, the best answer to the whole situation was to buy a pair of Korkers boots. To be honest, my primary reason to buy boots with interchangeable soles was because I wear out the soles long before I wear out the boots themselves.
That said, I learned to love the ability to have a variety of soles with out having to buy a bunch of different boots. I wear felt most of the time in warm weather. Where I fish, slick, smooth rocks with algae on them are the norm. In the winter, crossing ice to get into the river, wearing plain felt soles is like having a death wish. Studs make a big difference there. Having to hike a bit in the spring, I like the rubber sole. The Svelte II sole actually has better traction than felt, and is said to be didymo and zebra snail proof. If you need to sterilize your soles, it's a lot easier if you can take them off your boots. Lots of choices, low cost. For me, this works well. Your mileage may vary
fly_guy12955 likes this.