The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about
Default Wading Staff Care and Maintenance

Howdy, folks.

So, on my first outing with a folding wading staff, I figured out a few things:

1: They will take on water, anyone who's never used one should be aware of that. Don't leave it assembled and throw it in the back of your truck/car trunk and forget it for a few weeks, it might lock up on you.

2: Mine has a couple of sticky joints, first down from the handle and last before the point. If anyone has any suggestions on a good lubricant that won't pollute the waters or melt in the afternoon sun, please speak up.

3: While I got lucky and got my Folstaff at a bargain bin price from a garage sale, even at full retail price of $120+ U.S.D. these devices are money well spent.

Compare that price to the potential medical bills from a poorly timed slip in a freestone stream that twists/sprains an ankle, or cracks a kneecap, or worse breaks an ankle or leg

If you can afford either a more expensive rod or a wading staff but not both, I'd recommend getting the staff and settling for a less high-end rod. YMMV, of course
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Staff Care and Maintenance

Unfortunately, I went cheap and bought a discount model a few years ago, after the first time using it, all the joints welded together. I tried using it by just letting it float behind me with the tether attached to my belt, as I was fishing, but the fly line inevitably gets tangled around that floating stick, so I quit using it out of frustration. Then this year, I saw a photo of a guy using one and he would just plant it into the river bottom next to where he was standing, while he was fishing, that was the solution I needed so now I'm using the wading staff again. It would be nice if it folded down, but I now have a workable solution.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"So, on my first outing with a folding wading staff, I figured out a few things..."

Your first mistake! These things are a 'Death Wish' looking for a place to happen. Chuck it and get a one piece solid, with a pound of lead wrap to weight the bottom.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a Folstaf for 35 years and it was well worth the $$.

First to the question of Folstafs locking up. Treat then like a fly rod. Use paraffin or candle wax and lubricate each joint well especially the lower joins that will be contaminated with sand and grit. A well lubed Folstaff will NEVER lock up. IF it does, it is your fault.

If it does lock up, rap the end of the staff several times against your automobile tire. If that does not work rap it against a rock or concrete curb. This will loosen the joint up, then lube with candle wax.

Once the Folstaf is lubed, a rap should unloosen the joint, then re-lube with wax.

Never buy the lightweight "walking staff" model. Get the heavier duty "wading staff" model. The wading staff has a double bungee cord and 3/4" diameter tubes.

Eventually the bungee cord inside the staff will weaken and you will find that the staff joints will loosen as you move the staff against the flow in very fast water. When this happens, you MUST have the bungee cord replaced. I have NEVER had a Folstaf collapse when the bungee cord is properly tight.

Get your Folstaf refurbished. I do mine about every 10 years. Click on "refurbishment" at the link below.

Fly-fishing accessories, Folstaf wading staff, Volkstaf and Travlr hiking and walking staffs by Fly-Tyers Carry-All

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 AM

spm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Chuck it and get a one piece solid, with a pound of lead wrap to weight the bottom.
Hey Fred,
Where do you get lead sheet to wrap the staff?

steve
Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my Folstaf for a good long time too.
It's one of the older 1/2" diameter models that they don't sell any longer, but I've never felt "under gunned" with it.
And it's certainly no death trap
As compact as it is, my Folstaf is never a effort to carry and is always holstered on my wading belt, ready to be deployed.

I had it re-bungeed maybe 15 years ago, but when it lost it's tip last year I replaced that myself with a tip from an old ski pole.
winstonwt likes this.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 PM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

I think mine is the same one, Rip. It looks like the model you'd find for sale on any website that sells Folstaff, has a single bungee and about a 3' lanyard to secure it to you in case you need to set in down in the current. It does not have the removable cap on top with the camera mount like the model Cabela's currently sells for up to $149.

Silver Creek,

The advice about the bungee is good to know, if it starts to loosen I'll know why. I thought about candle wax but was afraid it would melt in the sun, but if it works for others I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

My Folstaff came with a piece of paraffin wax to lube the joints. It has never locked up or collapsed on me. It stays on my belt and ready when I need it. If (when) I used the one piece models, they were always on the bank or in my truck because I didn't like carrying them.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Hey Fred,
Where do you get lead sheet to wrap the staff?

steve
Check with a auto parts store. Some carry, most can order some up. I'm being called; back in a moment.

I'm back; large Yellow Lab WOOFFFFFEEEDD in my office door. Time for a 'wee-wee' in the back yard.

Anyway, Google 'sheet lead, for the most part its the same stuff they use to build auto batteries.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangin chad View Post
I think mine is the same one, Rip. It looks like the model you'd find for sale on any website that sells Folstaff, has a single bungee and about a 3' lanyard to secure it to you in case you need to set in down in the current. It does not have the removable cap on top with the camera mount like the model Cabela's currently sells for up to $149.

Silver Creek,

The advice about the bungee is good to know, if it starts to loosen I'll know why. I thought about candle wax but was afraid it would melt in the sun, but if it works for others I'll give it a shot.
Problem with these is they either sink or float away from you. Neither is a 'Good Thing.' Just personal experience but when you need the thing, neither of those situations is going to save your bottom.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I have had my folstaf for about 15 years,nothing better out there.