The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 AM

shellback is on a distinguished road
Default fly line leader

as i am brand new to fly fishing, i am practicing daily. my problem is: i 've worn out the stout line that connects my fly line to my tippet.
i got the knots- would say 30lb mono (nail knot to perfection loop) work?
i have a museum in my closet of mono from 20lb to 300lb so multiple line tests, flexibilitys and hardnesses are available.
also, i had an idea about using some 4lb flurocarbon for a tippet with my floating line- like for use with a wooly bugger. waddya think?
thanks for your time and reply
tom (retired tuna fisherman)
Old 08-10-2014, 03:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly line leader

Leader from fly line to tip of the tippet needs to be in 'scale' with the line weight. Just what I do with my rods. Nail knot, or the other, to connect the butt to the tip of the fly line.

4 and 5 wts=12 or 15 pound MAIN LINE NOT leader material. Leader material is too soft, then scale it down to tippet. 6-7's get 20 or 25# butts, over a 7wt rod usually 25-30# material. But the 'key' here is to use main line for your butt section.

To put a bit more into the above you have to consider the internal core of the fly line (what test is it?). Can't speak for very light fly lines, but starting at about a 5 to 7 its usually 20#. 8's and above frequently jump to 30. Point being you want all your leader material to be equal, or less than, the line core.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM

shellback is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly line leader

its a 5 wt.
thanks for the guidance- i need a place to start on ALOT of this stuff.
it would be nice if we had water here in central cal. my stuff would probably wear out alot slower