The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ferrule Care

While internet researching this issue out further, I ran across a great suggestion by one Tim Gelinas on a Spey-casters blog, River Run Anglers. Mr. Gelinas has come up with an ingenious solution which he calls his Spey Rod Savers - short lengths of surgical latex tubing in various diameters that are "rolled over" ferrules. Experiment until you have the right diameter for each ferrule to provide moderate elastic tension over the ferrule joint. I haven't tried it yet although I just did order an assortment of surgical latex tubular material, but it looks from his pictures to be easy to put on and, of course, when you want to dismantle the rod, all you need to do is roll it back on one of the sections adjoining the ferrule (here's a link to his article with illustrative pictures: River Run Anglers-Jottings from a Speybum Note Book-Spey Rod Saver ).

Be interested in any thoughts on this. Certainly looks easier and quicker to use than tape, which could be a hassle if you take apart your rod (or part of it as I do) when moving from location to location. It also looks more likely to keep rod sections from working loose if the right diameter tubing is used to keep it snug enough. It would probably have less likelihood of wearing down the rod finish over time as tape might. And the slight compressive effect the elastic tubing would have on the ferrule joint could only add to its value in preventing ferrule breakages.

I'll update this in a few months after I've had some on-stream experience with it, and would encourage anyone else to do the same. This may be the best answer to broken ferrules that I've come across.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

The tubing works well on Spey rods and looks like a nice alternative to tape. On shorter and finer rods of 9 feet and less I think the tubing would affect the action of the rod.

With the major manufacturers recommending wax to eliminate loose ferrules I think wax is the way to go. Loose ferrules turn into broken rods/ferrules, which turn into warranty claims, which is something they want to reduce.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
The tubing works well on Spey rods and looks like a nice alternative to tape. On shorter and finer rods of 9 feet and less I think the tubing would affect the action of the rod.

With the major manufacturers recommending wax to eliminate loose ferrules I think wax is the way to go. Loose ferrules turn into broken rods/ferrules, which turn into warranty claims, which is something they want to reduce.
Joe, you make some interesting points here. I know for personal fact that Sage recommends using wax, but I've heard that some other manufacturers like Loomis expressly warn against it. For myself, I've always used wax when I think of it ahead of time or nose grease when on the water, and haven't had any problems yet - however, with the little I've been on the water lately, that doesn't mean much. For Christmas I got a new Sage Z-Axis 7110-4/5 switch rod which I haven't used yet, so for that rod I just ordered and intend to use that U-40 Ferrule Lube that's been so highly talked about as a comparison to some of my other rods which have had wax used on them.

As for the surgical latex tubing changing the action of smaller lighter rods, I've got an old Scientific Anglers 8'6" 2-piece 5-weight fiberglass rod which is pretty flexible. I'm going to add tubing to that to see how it affects the action of this rod I know so well. I would think this rod would show any effect if any of my rods would. I might also try them out on my Sage SP 589-5/6; while it's not quite a flexible as the Scientific Anglers is, with its four ferrules any stiffening effect of the tubing might manifest itself more.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I've got an old Scientific Anglers 8'6" 2-piece 5-weight fiberglass rod which is pretty flexible. I'm going to add tubing to that to see how it affects the action of this rod I know so well. I would think this rod would show any effect if any of my rods would. I might also try them out on my Sage SP 589-5/6; while it's not quite a flexible as the Scientific Anglers is, with its four ferrules any stiffening effect of the tubing might manifest itself more.
It would be interesting to see what happens. I think the tubing would be more noticeable on the four piece, but just a guess. Let us know.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is what I did for many years with no problem. I would swipe the ferrule through my hair once or twice and then wipe between my thumb and forefinger. Not to remove the oil but to distribute it all over the ferrule.

For the past few years I have been a bit short in the hair department and this method doesn't work as well as it once did.

Frank
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
. . . For the past few years I have been a bit short in the hair department and this method doesn't work as well as it once did.
Frank,

I've found that the bowling ball wax I apply to my dome works pretty on ferrules too

Neil
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM

I see where Orvis is including wax with their rods. I'm guessing it's a way to cut back on ferrule breakage returns.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Funny but every Orvis rod My Dad or I ever bought has come with a little chapstik thing of ferrule wax. Till I read your post Joe I forgot about that.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Funny but every Orvis rod My Dad or I ever bought has come with a little chapstik thing of ferrule wax. Till I read your post Joe I forgot about that.
Davo,

I have a bunch of the lip balm tubes of ferrule wax kicking around, but now it's in the kind of container like Dab or lead putty comes in. BTW, lip balm is mostly made from wax... probably would work just fine.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I have several of those tubes as well Joe. Just never with me when needed!! always the way. I'm going to be buying a couple new Orvis combos for client rods this season so I will get to check out the new stuff.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures