The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 PM

spm will become famous soon enoughspm will become famous soon enough
Default LL Bean Kennebec Waders **UPDATE**

After sending my Orvis waders in for repair, they still leak, not as bad, but they do leak. So, I'm on the search for new waders. I know Simms G3 are the best rated, but I have a problem spending $500.

I am 5'7" and wear a 29"-30" inseam pant, so I need a wader that offers shorter lengths.

I could go back to Orvis, but not sure I'm that satisfied with this last pair. They didn't seem to last very long. Which brings me to the title of this thread and my question. Does anyone have any personal experience with LL Bean Kennebec waders? I have done business with LL Bean over the years and know about their warranty, and that does weigh in heavily.
I'm just looking for some personal insight, including but not limited to:
How breathable are they?
How comfortable are they?
How durable are they, especially bushwacking?
How is the fit?
Generally, do you like them?
Anything else you want to throw in.

Thanks,
steve

Last edited by spm; 10-31-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice
Default Re: LL Bean Kennebec Waders

Cant offer any info on the waders but as far as warranty I don't think you can beat Bean.

Which model Orvis waders did you have issues with ? I was looking at a second pair and considering them ?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM

BigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the rough

My 20 year old Cabelas were leaking so I bought some Patagonia stockingfoot hippers and they have held up well over the last couple of years - very satisfied with them. Just because they were on closeout sale I bought a pair of Simms G3 last year for $299 but they haven't been out of the box except to try them on, their fit is divine, much better than the old Cabelas had been.

It's the end of season so look for sales and in the interim peruse this:

2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

Best of luck and tight lines.

2x

"The world is big, and I want to get a good look at it before it gets dark". John Muir
Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Cant offer any info on the waders but as far as warranty I don't think you can beat Bean.

Which model Orvis waders did you have issues with ? I was looking at a second pair and considering them ?
Orvis Clearwater. They have been discontinued.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Kennebecs and like them. Had a different pair of Bean waders and they started leaking. Contacted Bean and they said they no longer offered the model but I could go with a different one. Opted to pay the difference to (slightly) upgrade to the Kennebecs and am glad I did. As you mentioned Bean's service is top notch. Rather than waiting for them to receive my old ones and then send the new ones they mailed the Kennebec's right away (got credit card info) and I mailed the leaking ones to them. Ended up the fit of the Kennebec's wasn't quite right and they exchanged them quickly. I like the multiple cuts in addition to normal sizing, lets you customize it a bit more.

I haven't bushwacked much in the waders but have fished in them a number of times. They are comfortable. Have a nice adjustable wading belt (velcro straps for each side are easy to adjust. When I initially put them on the belt sometimes falls out but is easy to put in and secure. Did take some spills etc and they are fine, but haven't really put them through their paces on long rough hikes or seasons of fishing. I'd recommend them based off my experience so far, backed by Bean's service.
ejsell and spm like this.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

My Kennenbec's fit like a glove... I'm 5'8... Big guy with a 28" inseam... I really like the integrated wading belt as it allows me to roll my waders down and use them as pants during warmer days... (The shoulder straps can be detached as well)... I do my fair share of bushwacking and lots of plopping down on my behind to slide down steep banks... Not a single leak that I've noticed yet... And I'm on my second or third year with them and I fit in a fair amount of fishing yearly... So haven't used the warranty yet but I know bean stands behind everything they make..
spm likes this.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the responses. This helps a lot.
The only problem is the stocking foot size. The regular/medium would fit except the shoe size is 9-10. I wear an 11, plus I have to use an orthotic insole.

steve
Old 10-09-2014, 10:09 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Steve,

There is only one thing for you to do pal. Go Simms custom. Pay through the nose now. Get the perfect fit that's right for you.

When my Orvis Super Sonic seamless die (very nice btw, just not quite right) and go to wader heaven that's what I am going to do.

Joe
winstonwt and spm like this.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: LL Bean Kennebec Waders

I think most anglers buy waders by their warranty,i see and read a lot about cabelas,ll bean waders how if they leak or fail I can just return them and they send you another pair. To me that's not the important reason for buying waders,The point here is not to have in the back of your mind that if and when these waders leak I just send them back and receive another pair,that comes down to lost time on the water,shipping charges,it goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for.Simms are the best by far,they set the standard for waders,period,you can not beat Gore-Tex for breathability.I have never had a problem with simms,EVER,and NO I do not work for simms.I own 3 pair,all 3 were bought on sale not full price.You have got the internet,search the fly shops and you will find that most have simms on sale.Theres only one word in dependable waders,SIMMS.
troutnut4 and eastfly66 like this.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM

chitownflyer is on a distinguished road

I ordered the kennebec boot foot in medium and it ran really big. I'm 5'7 and the bib went up to my chin. The boots also run at least a size larger than stated on the boot foot. Seemed well made and combined with their sale, the discount from Discover card and their warranty it was worth it to try them out. I ended up exchanging for the Helix stocking foot in small and it fit perfectly. I also bought the boa boots. I'm a fan of their customer service and they have free fly csting lessons.