The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 05:35 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need some new wading boots, and a repair question

Wife is going to buy me some new wading boots for my birthday, and I am looking at these.

SimmsŪ G3 Guide Wading Lug Boots : Cabela's

That's about the limit on our budget as I just sent my daughter off to college. The Simms Freestones are also tempting at the lesser price, but I quickly learned in Alaska that good boots are necessary in fast water on freestone rivers. I don't want to skimp too much.

I also need advice on glue so I can repair my well worn Korkers that were given to me. The rubber is delaminating a bit at the toe. They would make good guest boots on the Driftless so I want a few more years of occasional use out of them.
winstonwt likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need some new wading boots, and a repair question

Hi Dewayne,

I don't have any fix ideas for the old boots other than waterproof cement and then tightly tape them to hold the parts together while they cure. I have used duct tape and start by leaving a short sticky end to get started with but placing a strip of tape sticky to sticky over the part of the tape that will be over the repair. I hope you get what I'm saying; you make the tape so it will not stick to the repaired area but will stick everywhere else. That way you can make it tight without having it pull the repair apart when you remove the tape. Make sense?

The boot is the same thing I wore this year. Comfort wise they are great, wear wise I expect maybe another season. keep in mind my feet were in the water a whole lot this season, under normal use they should go at least 4 seasons. That's about as good as it gets or so it seems these days. Comfort is the key really and be sure to get the star bite cleats if you go where it's tricky wading.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2014, 07:05 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

Good choice, anything from simms is the best choice.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

I just glued the felt bottoms ( in part ) on my old Orvis boots using aqua seal. I could'nt get them to stay together for the glue to dry so I sank a couple 1 1/4" course thread dry wall screws into the bottom but didn't send them home all the way.

I will have to let you know how that one works out tomorrow .....

Edit: I would go the extra buck on the boots , it don't matter how good the fishing is if your feet and back hurt.

If the aqua seal fails I am going to try" Liquid Nails " or Masonry capstone adhesive. Stuff sticks to everything
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ard,

I knew you were wearing Simms but I had no idea which model. The repair advice makes sense, I just need somebody to chime in with something that will stick for a half dozen trips or so. I don't expect the factory vulcanizing will be duplicated and that's OK. I'll definitely have cleats before I tread your water again. Wonder if they'd get trashed walking the Driftless limestone shoreline? Probably not.

And I knew you would approve of anything Simms winstonwt. Does Simms sell underwear yet?

EDIT, the Korker soles are fine. The rubber comes up over the top of the toe and it is pulling away there. I've had expensive sneakers do that and the repair attempt was a fail.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

On your repair question..... Shoe repair shops and custom leather craftsmen use something called Barge Cement. Similar to contact cement, but designed to do what you are trying to do. It works. If you can't find it, you might try a tube or ShoeGoo.
Hope that helps, good luck !
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 PM

kosix is on a distinguished road

Skate shops are a good source for shoegoo. Fixed my korkers two years ago with shoegoo. Still going strong.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 PM

mlob1one is on a distinguished road

I would suggest looking at the boots from 'LL Bean. I bought a pair of Simms wading boots 5-7 years back and they were not comfortable to me at all.

I would suggest that you try on whatever you buy first.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM

You are so right about trying on shoes before you buy. I have narrow feet with a high arch so shoe size is always a crapshoot for me. Unfortunately I live 100s of miles from anywhere I could try on a boot. Cabela's will exchange them for anything so it will be OK in the end. Many sizes disappeared right after I posted the link. I ended up with Simms model Guide G3 for a bit more money.
eastfly66 and mlob1one like this.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with mlob1one,always try on wader boots,what feels great to someone might not feel the same on another person.