New Waders

peter hanman

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about buying a new set of waders and I'm stuck between two. The Redington Sonic Pro and the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. I love them both and they are both about the same price range. Any thoughts? Which do you prefer and why?

tcorfey

Reaction score
I bought the Orvis zip front sonics earlier this year and I am absolutely happy with the purchase. Very comfortable, no problem climbing over and under stuff, holds up well working through brush and over rocks. With the 5 pockets I can fish without a jacket, pack or vest. Front zipper is great for making a pit stop and no leaks when in water up over my belly (past the zipper) however, it does feel cold when water is on the zipper (I thought it had leaked the first time).

photoguy

Reaction score
Agree with the above...very happy user here. Especially like the zipper for when nature calls.:eek:

I went with the Orvis because I had a chance to try them on before purchasing. The shop that handled Redington didn't have them in stock and wanted me to order a size based on the chart.

jcw355

Reaction score
Agree with the above...very happy user here. Especially like the zipper for when nature calls.:eek:

I went with the Orvis because I had a chance to try them on before purchasing. The shop that handled Redington didn't have them in stock and wanted me to order a size based on the chart.
My son in law got my redingtons, neoprene booties were a hair too big for me. Orvis will get my business if I ever have to replace my G4z simms soley based on price.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought the Orvis zip front sonics earlier this year and I am absolutely happy with the purchase. Very comfortable, no problem climbing over and under stuff, holds up well working through brush and over rocks. With the 5 pockets I can fish without a jacket, pack or vest. Front zipper is great for making a pit stop and no leaks when in water up over my belly (past the zipper) however, it does feel cold when water is on the zipper (I thought it had leaked the first time).
+1 for the Orvis zip front Silver Sonics. At my age that zipper sure is nice for those frequent pit stops after drinking a couple cups of coffee on the way to the river. :D

photoguy

Reaction score
+1 for the Orvis zip front Silver Sonics. At my age that zipper sure is nice for those frequent pit stops after drinking a couple cups of coffee on the way to the river. :D
Ha! My son keeps asking "dad, are you OK?"...I keep thinking - just wait till you get to be my age.

:p

sndmn11

Reaction score
At that price with the orvis guarantee, I considered grabbing them up just to have a backups to my simms.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm a seasonal wader wearing guy, so my take is what it is.

I've been a Redington guy for a few years, always the waist high waders and not chest waders. They are decent enough for what I do, but I wouldn't classify them as in the same class as the Silver Sonics.

My personal theory on waders: wear your waders, beat the tar out of them, mend or repair what you can, then replace every three years, so Redingtons are cost effective for that.